Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vista wont shutdown

Options
  • 30-10-2008 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

I'm having a bit of an annoying problem with my computer, Vista wont shut down any more. My computer is running fine in almost all aspects but when I'm finished and click Statr ==> Shut down, nothing happens, and I eventually have to just force turn it off. This has been going on for about 2 weeks and I have no idea why

I have all the latest updates for Windows/Drivers and there was no major hardware/software change at the time this started happening.

I google problems like this but didnt really find anything helpful

Any ideas?

Thanks

Gavin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,133 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It might be one of your devices is failing to shut down. Try going into the device manager and tinkering with the power management settings for the USB controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

can you be more specific on what you mean?

anyone have any other ideas?

thanks again

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

That can often be caused by a virus/spyware etc, make sure your AV software is up to date and run a full scan, and try a few of the anti-spyware programs as well to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

I have avg up to date and it says I'm totally clean, and spy bot and adaware and one other i cant remember the name of off hand allsay I'm totally clean

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭DenMan

You don't by any chance have your computer perform a virus sweep on shut down? Another possibility is maybe you are running to many applications/tasks and it uses up a lot of your pc's resources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Just to make sure, give these a run...

Ewido online scan - http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/

Windows Live one care online scan - http://onecare.live.com/site/en-US/default.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

im having another little problem... ive been spending about an hour each night just staring at it (really angryly!) but its not doing much good !

Are you able to put it to sleep ? or use the "on" switch beside the lock button... are you pressing the "Shut Down" button in the popup ? or the sleep button ?
    If you have an older processor/motherboard you may not be able to put it to sleep ?

If it is a newer motherboard i would check that windows has picked up the correct drivers for it, maybe it thinks its a different one ?

Advertisement