Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just witnessed Lightning hitting Plane N Dublin 30/10/08

Options
  • 30-10-2008 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

:eek:The 2nd bolt of lightning just now in N Dublin myself and my daughter just witnessed a plane been struck by lightning just after take off heading back east over the Dublin 13 area. The bolt conducted through the plane and then to the ground and lit up the plane in the sky through clouds:eek:

Absolutely amazing and the second time by chance this evening admiring the second hail storm i have observed lightning

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paulhac

Hi Snowbie, just stepped outside for a smoke and saw that bolt around 8pm. was that the one that hit the plane

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Snowbie wrote: »
    :eek:The 2nd bolt of lightning just now in N Dublin myself and my daughter just witnessed a plane been struck by lightning just after take off heading back east over the Dublin 13 area. The bolt conducted through the plane and then to the ground and lit up the plane in the sky through clouds:eek:

Absolutely amazing and the second time by chance this evening admiring the second hail storm i have observed lightning

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I saw the big flash too was right over head, then bang.. It hit it? Is it alright?

Massive hailstorm followed. Was too scared to go out at first:pac::pac: Waited till it past to measure!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

paulhac wrote: »
    Hi Snowbie, just stepped outside for a smoke and saw that bolt around 8pm. was that the one that hit the plane
    Yea Paul, was the only bolt around that time. Strike than hit land about 1/2 mile from here to my NW i'd say in Balgriffin. Huge bolt (CG) strike, then followed by a massive hailstorm, jeez i can't contain myself:D

More please

Yea Paul, was the only bolt around that time. Strike than hit land about 1/2 mile from here to my NW i'd say in Balgriffin. Huge bolt (CG) strike, then followed by a massive hailstorm, jeez i can't contain myself:D

More please

Yes, more please Irish sea!

Tis abit like 03'! But we want much more.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I saw the big flash too was right over head, then bang.. It hit it? Is it alright?
    Flew on as if nothing happened, unscathe, i hope:)
    Lightning hits planes all the time on the airframe and conducts it to the earth without leaving a mark most of the time on them.
    Massive hailstorm followed. Was too scared to go out at first:pac::pac: Waited till it past to measure!
    Yea WC, huge storm and good size hail.

• Advertisement

Looks like there's a big storm headed for like south Dublin, Wicklow, looks big on the satellite picture, high tops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The aircraft passed right over my house and looked a bit odd... now I realise why! Both wingtip lights were on steady - a malfunction from the strike! They'll probably go back into Dublin for repairs.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Lucky sods!

Clear over here at the moment and I can see your plane hitting, hail producing, lightning emitting cloud heading off to the south west (big Cu tower rather than Cb).

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

That's amazing! :eek:

I would have thought the plane would have sustained massive damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Looks like there's a big storm headed for like south Dublin, Wicklow, looks big on the satellite picture, high tops.

Sounds good Matt!:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Thats amazing! :eek:

I would have thougt the plane would have sustained massive damage.

Faraday Cage!

(What the heck has happened to Boards....gone all black and yellow!)

This is lightning hitting a plane from YouTube.

Docarch is right, probably a large TCu cloud that the lightning was from. Couldn't tell as i was under it :D

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Looks cool.

Would not like to be on a plane when that happened!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Has anyone got a link to a good sat link so i watch shower development coming in off the irish sea.

Thats pretty cool snowbie.

I happened to be driving from Orlando to Miami in july of 07 with massive thunderstorms just inland.
    The storms came right overhead into some sort of multicell thing with cg lightning bolts coming down all over the place in front and beside us for miles.

We were leaving the car back at Miami international airport in the storm and it was rather scarey to say the least looking at the planes flying through the storm being hit right left and centre.
    The planes were doing some buffeting side to side as they climbed,I'd say the seatbelt signs were on :D
    Common enough experience there though.

In other news,I seem to be just a tad north of that heavy looking shower swining into wexford at the moment.

Kippure wrote: »
    Has anyone got a link to a good sat link so i watch shower development coming in off the irish sea.
    Use the IR sat to see the showers developing over the sea

http://www.irlweather.com/wxsatellite.php

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I was in a plane hit by lightning about 40 minutes from landing in JFK iN March this year.

An utterly terrifying thing to go through, and although it's perfectly safe, I hope I never have to go through it again.

@ BB, some skill to land a plane in a thunderstorm let alone been struck by lightning putting the pilot's off also.:eek:

This happened an hour ago now and still blitzed by it. We where watching that hail pounding against the front window and when you least expect it.... No lightning prior to it so caught us off guard but hitting the plane too in front of us like that was mesmerising :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Just read this thread, I was motoring up Grace Park Road on Thursday evening just after 8pm and I saw that lightning bolt. I didn't realise that it had struck a plane but about 30 secs after the flash, we were caught up in the short but very intense hail storm that followed. I drove up the M1 through Santry about 5 minutes after the strike and the rain was torrential. It was like driving in fog it was so bad.

Advertisement