Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2.5 laptop HD

Options
  • 30-10-2008 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

My MacBook needs a new hard drive. 2.5" sata. There is fantastic value in external hard drives these days, much cheaper than buying a replacement internal drive on its own. Has anyone ever bought one of these external drives then taken out its enclosure and fitted it into a laptop?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Internal drives should work out cheaper. A 320GB 2.5" western digital scorpio works out at about €70 on dabs. You'd be hard pushed to find an external 320GB 2.5" drive at that price. It should work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I thought the connection of an external hard drive is USB. I didn't think putting an external HD into a laptop was actually possible :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

I don't know about taking an external hard drive apart and putting it in your laptop. This is probably not a good idea. If your hard drive is broken, like AlmightyCushion said, you would probably be better off just buying an internal hard drive.

If on the other hand you are upgrading because you need more space, there is tremendous value in having an external hard drive when you own a laptop. For one, it makes it much easier to share files between computers.

You can buy an external terabyte drive for cheap now, so if you simply need some more space, this is what I would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Some of the USB external hard drives are IDE on the inside.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

It will work, but as pointed out whats the point. Internal drives should be cheaper. One thing to note is how difficult the enclosure will be to open. I'd to open a 3.5" HDD enclosure once. The customer didn't care about the enclosure. He just wanted the drive out of it as the unit had died. It was very difficult to open. It was a seagate external drive.

Another point that I'd consider. What is the warrenty on a drive removed from its enclosure?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Ten Tenths

I hear you all. They are all good points. The cheap internals are only available online. I cant wait that long. I need a new one in the morning. PC World have a Seagate 2.5 external 1TB for €99 while they charge €181 for a 320GB internal!!!
    But hey. Thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Just make sure the drive inside is SATA and not IDE.

MC

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Ten Tenths wrote: »
    I hear you all. They are all good points. The cheap internals are only available online. I cant wait that long. I need a new one in the morning. PC World have a Seagate 2.5 external 1TB for €99 while they charge €181 for a 320GB internal!!!
    But hey. Thanks everyone

thats a good price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Ten Tenths

I know. Some manufactures dont state

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ten Tenths wrote: »
    But hey. Thanks everyone

That isn't a 2.5" drive if it's 1TB, the biggest you can get is a 500GB in 2.5" and they are very expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

That isn't a 2.5" drive if it's 1TB, the biggest you can get is a 500GB in 2.5" and they are very expensive.

Looks like you are right about that AlmightyCushion.

Ten Tenths, if you do end up buying a drive and removing the enclosure, take some pictures. It would be interesting and while I still would not recommend it, you could end up helping someone else out.

charlesD wrote: »
    Ten Tenths, if you do end up buying a drive and removing the enclosure, take some pictures. It would be interesting and while I still would not recommend it, you could end up helping someone else out.

It will work as long as it's the right size and connection. Hardest part would be ripping the drive out of the casing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Another thing to watch out for, is that some of the current generation of external 2.5" sata drives are built using 12.5mm high drives. The first 500Gb 2.5" drive to hit the market was a 12.5mm high Hitachi, so a lot of the external drives you find will use this. (WD and Samsung now make standard 9.5mm 500Gb drives)

Anyway, I don't see the point, as AC mentioned the standalone drives are cheaper than the external variants. Compare the WD 320Gb Passport, and the WD 320GB Scorpio 2.5". Something like €20 cheaper on Komplett.

Advertisement