Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iLiA Tapas & More...

Options
  • 30-10-2008 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Ilia Tapas & More restaurant in Mullingar is without a doubt probably the best restaurant in town. It offers comfortable, modern surroundings and the service was high standard. Regards the food itself it was of michilan star quality!! I had a 3 course meal not so long ago, starter, main course AND dessert (which doesnt happen very often!!), were all exquisite!

Booking is essential, even during the week as its very popular which im not surprised about! Menu is reasonably priced and expect alot of choice too.

Make sure you visit it if your near the Mullingar area, it's well worth the visit :D!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Do you have some connection to this place?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

Nice plug...

Personally, I would have to go for the "thyme" restaurant. It used to be the old olive grove. Food is superb and good value for money!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ShortskirtCiara

No ive actually no connection at all believe it or not! I was just there with a group of friends for one of their birthdays an we all really enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭coillcam

Lord not this place again. Every time it comes up in conversation, it generally goes like this. What do you think? It's savage man! Really, when were you there? Oh a mate told me it was class. He said you have to book it 3 weeks in advance it's that good.

I hear this type of conversation on a weekly basis bar one mate who actually went and said it was a top spot. I reserve judgment thus far pending my own experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Believe the Hype!
    It is that good!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

yeah I've been there, its pretty good alright, booking in advance is a pain though

However, the award for best food in Mullingar IMO goes to the Belfrey, even though its not actually in Mullingar.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 star01

I would agree with the original post. It is one of the only restaraunts in Mullingar that puts effort into presentation. The staff are also really nice and friendly :-) It is in my opinion the best restraunt in Mullingar so if anyone does get a chance to go, take advantage of it.
    What is the "Thyme" restraunt, I've never heard of it in Mullingar?
    Has anyone been to the BElfry since new management, under the old management it was fab French food. Really great, but haven't been since new management, the menu changed and seemed quite simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

star01 wrote: »
    Has anyone been to the BElfry since new management, under the old management it was fab French food. Really great, but haven't been since new management, the menu changed and seemed quite simple.

yep been there a few times (was there Saturday night) the food is quite simply fantastic, I'm watering at the mouth just thinking of the venison......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

New Belfry is great, still some of the old staff there.
    Tapas rocks - going there next week!!!:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Anyone eat here recently? Do they do proper tapas or is it more conventional (starter, main, dessert) - I'd be interested in the tapas menu if it is any good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

star01 wrote: »
    What is the "Thyme" restraunt, I've never heard of it in Mullingar?

because its in athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

muckety wrote: »
    Anyone eat here recently? Do they do proper tapas or is it more conventional (starter, main, dessert) - I'd be interested in the tapas menu if it is any good.

I was there Saturday just gone food was excellent service was just right .

I had a conventional 3 courses ,desert was feckin lovely.

They served 2 starter courses 'amuse bouche' anchovies and a soup before the starters as ordered.I had a black pudding and chick pea starter and i would go back to the restaurant just for that

I think they have a tradtional tapas menu on a Sunday early but not sure .

It is as good as the hype i would happily go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 barmar

Yea. Ilia Tapas isas good as they say it is. Was there for the first time a couple of months ago with a party of 10 & each and every one of us agreed that it was the perfect meal.
    Re-visited 2 weeks ago (without reservation) & it was just as good.
    The Belfry is a favourite for Sunday Lunch though especially for the perfect Roast Rib of Beef.
    Another place worth mentioning is Middleton Park House in Castletown Geoghegan. Just 15 mins outside Mullingar its the best kept secret!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭jgally

Ilia Tapas & More restaurant in Mullingar is without a doubt probably the best restaurant in town.

Ha that's some England!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tedeile

Heard a rumour around town that iLia Tapas & More is closing? If so...what a shame!:( Absolutely fabulous place to have a meal...excellent food, atmosphere, friend staff....always guaranteed a fabulous meal...anyone know anything more about this?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭sprocket1

yea the chef simon is leaving / left at this stage and most of the crew in the kitchen and some foh staff as well, new chef in there now i believe dont know what the foods like.......................... any one been in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 njean

Missed Simon by a few days...Yes it's a nice place... but nothing very special....very expensive...especially since 'Oscars' can offer equal quality (if not better), better choice, nicer environment, and just a few doors away.
    It may just be down to new start to a new team, but today most people want value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MIXER MIXER

had a meal at ilia's this week and to be honest i just cant fault the place. the service and athmosphere were brilliant, and the food was beautifull.....both taste and presestation were faultless.

i did not eat there while the previous chef was working, but it seems like they have struck gold with this new guy.

i'll definatly be back. 10 out of 10.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

had a meal at ilia's this week and to be honest i just cant fault the place. the service and athmosphere were brilliant, and the food was beautifull.....both taste and presestation were faultless.

i did not eat there while the previous chef was working, but it seems like they have struck gold with this new guy.

i'll definatly be back. 10 out of 10.

Hello HR/Front of House/Restaurant manager!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MIXER MIXER

Seaneh wrote: »
    Hello HR/Front of House/Restaurant manager!

i've no connection to the place at all. apart from the fact that i like the food. it's my honest opinion. dont be so suspicious. it's not good for you.

• Advertisement

was there a week ago myself - its as good as ever thankfully. its also not as expensive as it was previously and while the menu is scaled back (not as large as before) there is still a great but tasty choice on on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭jenniwenni

Yep, it is the best restaurant in Mullingar. The last time I was there, they had a tapas menu and a regular 'starters, mains and dessert' menu.

The only downside is that there isn't a kids menu. I would go a lot more often if they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

shameless plugging thread is shameless.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 markygoods

had a meal there last week after hospital visit, food was good especially the goats cheese which i would recommend, Tullamore could do with a place like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Casey ca

Wud have to disagree wit ur there, dont tink Ilia tapas is anything special, the concept is a good one but i dont tink it works.

Casey ca wrote: »
    Wud have to disagree wit ur there, dont tink Ilia tapas is anything special, the concept is a good one but i dont tink it works.

if it doesnt work then why is it still open, nearly 2 years on? was there last nite by the way, jammed packed as usual!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Casey ca

thats just my opinion. Been there once n wudnt be bothered to ever go back!!!

Advertisement