Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on how I should cop on!?!

Options
  • 30-10-2008 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm finding studying impossible! I did good enough in the JC but I have to be honest and say that I'm as lazy as sin for the Leaving. I cannot set my mind to it! I spend alot of time on the internet, phone or dossing- never able to actually study and study is what I'm in dire need of!

What is the best way to break habits and study? I know I need to get off boards more:o but really what is recommended?
    I do evening study for 2hours which most of the time is do nothing in. I know I will really regret it next year if I don't break this terrible habit.

Please advise me people.PLEASE!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Eat properly. Exercise regularly. Sleep from midnight to 8am.

Once you've got into that routine, your next obstacle is the internet. I reccommend asking a parent or guardian to set a password on your desktop and any other desktops on your computer. That way someone can restrict your usage, cause lord knows you won't.

This probably won't work but give it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Get off boards. And the internet. Don't go online until you've actually done work. Don't do work anywhere near your computer.

For the 2 hours of supervised study, make a plan, so you know what you're going to do. If you're just doing vague "meh, work" you don't have any concrete goals, it's difficult to to things. If you know what you've to get done each day, then if you do fail horribly at working then you might see just how much work is piling up as undone... and if you do succeed then you get the satisfaction of seeing all the stuff you've revised.

At the end of the day, nobody can make you study. Self-discipline is a wonderful virtue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Visualise results day.
    All around you, people will be smiling, shedding tears of nothing but delight.

And you? You'll open up that brown envelope and realise that you're going to have to do basket weaving in Carlow.
    Is that what you want? Is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

bythewoods wrote: »
    Visualise results day.
    All around you, people will be smiling, shedding tears of nothing but delight.

And you? You'll open up that brown envelope and realise that you're going to have to do basket weaving in Carlow.
    Is that what you want? Is it?

Could be jam making by the way I'm going! at least I have my sense of humor! I remember my JC results my stomach was churning at the thoughts of NG in Maths and was so delighted I passed(teacher wouldn't let me move to Ordinary Level) And I really dont want to repeat, I can break the habit of using my phone and laptop but even when I do I'm too distracted to study. I just need good study guides.- and willpower:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

To be honest, you'll just have sit down and study, plan in advance. Make realistic goals e.g Read one act of MacBeth a day.

I did evening study as well for the Junior Cert and it was complete waste of time as I had no realistic goals, I just sat there and stared at a book.

So yeah make realistic goals, this will get the most out of your study which will motivate you to keep on doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Get your parents to help you with it. My mam has been going at me all week to do an hour here or there and although i hate it each time she says it i do end up getting stuff done. If you dont have the self drive get someone who does and tell them to make sure to nag/shout/scream at you till you actually get in a room and do a bit.

That said you can only do that so long at some stage you will have to motivate yourself and say hey this is my future 6 months of hard graff to get a good course in college so i dont end up in a ****ty job i dont want to be doing in 4 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I dunno what to do, I don't know how to study, I've never studied before, I didn't study once for the junior cert, I just always did my written homework and listened in class. How do you study???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I dunno what to do, I don't know how to study, I've never studied before, I didn't study once for the junior cert, I just always did my written homework and listened in class. How do you study???

Do past papers..anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Could be jam making by the way I'm going!

Why not Bread Making in Arklow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭yay_for_summer

Doing your homework and listening in class is really most of what you need to do. Obviously a bit of revision close to the exams will probably be needed but if you're taking everything in in class and through homework then you mightn't need to study as much as someone who does f-all in class.

• Advertisement
Advertisement