Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhD Supervision

Options
  • 30-10-2008 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭

Is it possible to work through two Universities? I've been encouraged to apply for a place as a PhD student at a major University in the UK, but owing to family commitments I would be unable to reside there. My potential supervisor has informed me that residence in the UK is not necessary, but I am a bit worried about the possible isolation involved in working so far from its campus.

Academically it would be in my best interests to pursue my research in the UK, but I don't want to be totally without a student community. Ideally, I would like to be based at an Irish University and work from there on my chosen topic, having access to its library, seminars, and undergraduate teaching opprtunities.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

It might work but it would require a unique understanding between your UK supervisor and someone high up in the Irish university, which would be difficult to sort out. Frankly, I can't see how it would be better for you to work in Ireland for a UK university, unless your only concern is the awarding body for the degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

Thanks for your reply. I realise it's highly unlikely that such an agreement would be reached between two Universities in separate countries, but I had never thought about it before. The University in the UK that I've referred to is undoubtedly the best place I could attend in terms of staff and facilities, so that is the primary draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Leopardi wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. I realise it's highly unlikely that such an agreement would be reached between two Universities in separate countries, but I had never thought about it before.

Does the UK research group collaborate with anyone where you are now? If they do, it would be a big help.
    The University in the UK that I've referred to is undoubtedly the best place I could attend in terms of staff and facilities, so that is the primary draw.

But what good is their staff and facilities if you're in a different country? :confused:

Unfortuanetly, no - there is no precedent for such collaboration.

Well, I can meet my supervisor as often as is necessary owing to his regular visits to Ireland.

I already possess most of the primary and secondary texts I need for my research. I would travel over to view and work with various manuscripts which are the highlight of its library's collection.

My main concern to associate myself with an Irish University is less about academic, than social motives, as I initially stated.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

A lot of people (often who are doing PhD part time) don't actually come into the university/building. It may not be necessary to get an Irish university involved if your supervisor is happy with you working in your own space.

• Advertisement

Red Alert wrote: »
    A lot of people (often who are doing PhD part time) don't actually come into the university/building. It may not be necessary to get an Irish university involved if your supervisor is happy with you working in your own space.

Thanks for replying Red. Yes, my potential supervisor has no problems with that. I could apply for external readership rights here anyway, so I'm in a good position.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

I did my PhD in a UK University while living in Ireland and working in a non-academic role in an Irish university.

My motivations for this were (in no particular order): Broader horizons; I wanted to get a degree from a non-Irish university as I was working in an Irish one; reputation of supervisor; reputation of institution and a few other smaller reasons.

My experience was a very positive one. I met my supervisor every few months and I just got on with it. I had previously completed an MSc by research, so I knew about research and writing processes... which was a help.

Socially it was somewhat isolating, but so what! Much research is. Being in another country caused no problems, other than a few small communication issues with university administration.

H2G2 wrote: »
    I did my PhD in a UK University while living in Ireland and working in a non-academic role in an Irish university.

My motivations for this were (in no particular order): Broader horizons; I wanted to get a degree from a non-Irish university as I was working in an Irish one; reputation of supervisor; reputation of institution and a few other smaller reasons.

My experience was a very positive one. I met my supervisor every few months and I just got on with it. I had previously completed an MSc by research, so I knew about research and writing processes... which was a help.

Socially it was somewhat isolating, but so what! Much research is. Being in another country caused no problems, other than a few small communication issues with university administration.

Your reply has certainly encouraged me - thanks for sharing your experiences. I would miss doing undergraduate tutorials though. That's my main reservation. Having tutored here before, I think it is a great way to acquire teaching experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

Your reply has certainly encouraged me - thanks for sharing your experiences. I would miss doing undergraduate tutorials though. That's my main reservation. Having tutored here before, I think it is a great way to acquire teaching experience.

You my be able to tutor at your local university in Ireland even if you are doing your phd at another university. Generally universities will want to employ their own postgrads as tutors but they do make exceptions. Always depends on the university and department but it's worth checking out! It will help if you have tutored there before too.

You my be able to tutor at your local university in Ireland even if you are doing your phd at another university. Generally universities will want to employ their own postgrads as tutors but they do make exceptions. Always depends on the university and department but it's worth checking out! It will help if you have tutored there before too.

Yes, I was thinking about that. I hope I can sort something out which would allow me to tutor here. I appreciate your helpful comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

I'm at a UK university and my supervisor has another student who lives and works in Vienna, so yes it is possible. The student originally planned to fly over once a week to go to a lecture (which is an absolutely insane idea), but I think these days he just comes over once every couple of months.

It would be a big help if you could organise yourself so that you're around other students, otherwise it could get very lonely and your enthusiasm might wane. Not sure how easy that would be though.

Firstly, thanks for your reply. It is helpful to know that others have followed my desired route. Having a student community around me is an important factor. A lot of details remain to be resolved, but I'll keep this board informed about how I get on for the benefit of other members who may face the same situation.
    Fremen wrote: »
    I'm at a UK university and my supervisor has another student who lives and works in Vienna, so yes it is possible. The student originally planned to fly over once a week to go to a lecture (which is an absolutely insane idea), but I think these days he just comes over once every couple of months.

It would be a big help if you could organise yourself so that you're around other students, otherwise it could get very lonely and your enthusiasm might wane. Not sure how easy that would be though.

Advertisement