Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interior doors, self build

Options
  • 30-10-2008 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi all,
    Just wondering what type of interior doors did ye go for and where did ye get them. had a look in Atlantic home, they had some 6 panel pine doors at €50 but think I might regret putting them in our new house! any tips ideas?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,335 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

pennies wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Just wondering what type of interior doors did ye go for and where did ye get them. had a look in Atlantic home, they had some 6 panel pine doors at €50 but think I might regret putting them in our new house! any tips ideas?

only 1 tip... do not scrimp on internal doors if you want to expose the timbers!!!

yes, €50 per door is a very good price... but pine is a very soft and very white door (or very yellow if glazed). They show up dirt stains very easily.....

what type of architrave and skirting do you have ...?? deal??

If you can afford to spend in the region of €150... oak doors are very nice...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

sorry to jump in on your thread pennies, but this may help you too! I was looking in at the new Wickes in Limerick the other day. They had some nice looking Oak doors, various paneling styles etc...think the most expensive was 130e....BUT....these were solid multicore with Oak veneer....is this pretty much what other people are putting in when they say oak doors? Or are you putting in 100% solid Oak doors etc? I am finding it hard to actually find any 100% solid oak doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

I used 6 panel red deal doors and red deal architrave throughout the house and 4 years on they still look very good and haven't shrunk or warped at all. I think they came in about 85 euro per pre-finished door. The one thing you shouldn't scrimp on are the handles... paid around 30 - 40 euro per set of handles and they're still going strong too despite having 3 kids swinging out of them on a daily basis. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭peaches79

We got some lovely doors from Kelly doors (they have a website too) - expensive but worth it we feel, and they hung them beautifully too. A great finish for a new build.

Only thing was we didn't find their customer service great, but in fairness they rectified anything once pointed out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

anoble66 wrote: »
    sorry to jump in on your thread pennies, but this may help you too! I was looking in at the new Wickes in Limerick the other day. They had some nice looking Oak doors, various paneling styles etc...think the most expensive was 130e....BUT....these were solid multicore with Oak veneer....is this pretty much what other people are putting in when they say oak doors? Or are you putting in 100% solid Oak doors etc? I am finding it hard to actually find any 100% solid oak doors.

I think most people buy engineered oak doors. We did, because solid oak doors cost €250 - €300 each and when you need a lot of doors it can just be too expensive.
    The engineered ones look great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ninjaBob

I went with Unfinished Pine Doors and my carpenter has stained and made them match our American Hickory flooring. They look very nice togethe and brighten up the house a great deal.

These doors cost me €1000 for 15 and are solid wood straight out of joinery (or whatever you call that place that makes doors).

The carpenter then went with reddeal achritrave/skirting, but we got an 8" Architrave/Skirting and another 6" piece of Architrave/Skiting and fixed them together. So we have this very nice detailed Architrave/Skirting that really stands out. The Carpenter got a bit for the router and ran them through it so they seamlessly fit togeher. For the doors we are using plint blocks at the base of the doors.

We aim on painting our Arhcitrave/Skirting/Window boards a shade of white. Our staircase is a solid pine cutstring staircase to match the doors and hopefully this will tie the whole house together.

We had huge debates over if we should paint the architraves/skirting and in the end we did as it could have been far too much wood.

The other alternative was to go with Walnut flooring which again would look nice with white architraving, and we could have gotten the stairs made in red deal but have the steps and handrail as walnut saving us money but still having the walnut effect as we would have painted the reddeal white.

The carpenter gave me a price of €85 for solid unfinished oak doors, which we would have stained walnut if we wanted to go that route.

If you do go the route of Atlantic Home Care, B&Q or Woodies, just make sure you can get the doors, skirting etc to match (unless you aim on painting) as you could find it hard to match woods later. So try and look at the big picture as a whole, it really helped us to pick our flooring (wood, carpet or tiles) and then work up to tie in all the other aspect.

PM me if you want a detailed breakdown of how much I paid and for what. We should have it all in by November and I can take photographs and post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wonky Knees

Went to Dungannon on Saturday. Got 10 internal doors. Locks, handles et cetera. I have pasted the name of the company into the reference material thread.

Advertisement