Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB problem

Options
  • 30-10-2008 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have big problem. Got myself track frame "benotto" and go BB for it 68-103. Now frame is italian so it's italian threaded. But it seems my BB is to small. I can push it inside carefully instead of "screwing" it. So is my problem big - meaning frame is fukd or is it wrong BB I have ?

Please help...

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

68mm is British bottom bracket. You need to get an Italian 70mm one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭omri

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yes, but the spindle width is for a double crankset. Are you building a single speed?

Yes.

In that case look for an Italian threaded track bottom bracket. Campag make one, but it's quite expensive. I've got a Miche one that was quite affordable.

• Advertisement

Should I look for any particular axle lenght ?
    I have sugino messenger crankset.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

wait a minute! exactly which sugino cranks are you using? be sure you get the right taper (ISO or JIS?). messenger uses JIS ( i think! check with google!) and rd/comp and 75 use ISO (again check with google).

if you're using standard track hubs it's almost certainly 103mm axle length you need.

edit: wait is see you said messenger cranks (duh) so i think what you need is a 70mm x 103mm JIS taper BB. they make it so easy don't they... :p

You learn a new thing every day. Hadn't realised there were different square taper standards until now.

exactly I have Sugino Messanger PJ130 (P.C.D.130mm 44T)
    very nice and very black :D

and it's JIS square taper

tricky.

i just bought this (though it hasn't arrived yet so i can't vouch for it's quality or fit) but i did find it hard getting a 103mm spindle that was JIS because shimano (JIS originators i think) only do spindles down to 107mm, and campagnolo only do ISO tapered spindles. previously i've gotten around this by using a 110mm spindle and mounting the chainring on the inside of the crank arms. a bit ugly but it gives a near perfect chainline with my sugino Rd cranks. my BB shell is 68mm though (english thread) so no good to your italian frame.

sugino do their own 103mm bottom brackets but they're supposed to be a bit high maintenance for non-track use. the bearing aren't sealed i think.

i think this might work for you. i guarantee nothing though - this is the internet you know and free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.

• Advertisement

I can't use ISO for that ? Or will it mess up the chainline ?

i've no experience with mixing different tapers. ISO and JIS use the same taper angle but the taper flats are different lengths. if you put a JIS crank on a ISO axle it will either go on too far, or not far enough (don't know which) but either way it will interfere with the chainline. more seriously i think it might cause the crank bolts to be either under-tightened or over-stressed. that would bother me.

i'd use the right taper if i were you.

Any idea what kind of BB tool i need for FSA Ultimax ? Some standard shimano or campagnolo ?

don't really know for sure - but it look s like a standard shimano splined tool would be the one for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

as always - read sheldon on anything that's complicated.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbtaper.html

in my very recent experience the only way to work out the spindle length with any accuracy is to try one and measure how far out it is. One easy way to asjust chainline a few mm is to swap the chainring to the other side of the crank so you have a bit of leeway in choice - then bb spacers are your next choice.

On your original question I'd also look up sheldon's stuff on threads:

in fact, read this page from top to bottom and then 10 times more:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

Advertisement