Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Braces, Best type?

Options
  • 29-10-2008 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

Hi im just wondering im getting braces in 4 weeks and the orthdontist told me that the metal ones are better that the white tooth coloured ones (thats the bit they stick to your teeth) sorry im not sure of the terms for everything. im just wondering is that right because i have heard that they are just as good? he said that they didnt work as fast and werent as strong as the metal. but if i can avoid having loads of metal in my mouth i want to but also want the quickest option.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭djt0607

if you want the cheapest, quickest option, metal braces are better than ceramic braces (those are the white ones). If your tooth condition isnt all that bad, and you arent a lover of metal braces (or any braces), you may want to check out some other treatments like the 'inman' aligner (adult teeth only) or the invisalign (its like a translucent gum sheild). The inman is cheap and is designed for minor complications. Invisalign is very costly and also is design for minor problems. Why it is so costly is because of the technology used to make the aligners and you can remove them just like taking a gum shield out of your mouth.

if you really really really dont want metal braces, i would advise you to ask your dentist about other options available to you.

hope this helps.
    dan

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

don't listen to anyone tell you ceramic aren't as 'good' as metal braces. All the brackets do is stick to your teeth, the ceramic ones do this just as well as metal.

There is less give in them that metal brackets so if anything the help move things quicker. They are more prone to popping off for this reason though. The other downside is that they are bigger than metal brackets so you will notice them more in your mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

My tuppence worth.
    I had braces for nearly 3 years and had ceramic on top and metal on bottom. I asked the same question to the ortho and he said the only difference was that the ceramic were more awkward to work with than the metal and there was no difference in how long they would take to work. The ceramic did pop off once or twice but I had one tooth that was very crooked!

Advertisement