Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon G10

Options
  • 29-10-2008 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Now that the G10 has been out for a while, a few questions before I pull the trigger

- I've seen reviews that state problems with CA, how noticable is this?

- how is it as a substitute camcorder ( I do not want to splash out on one of these if the G10 will suffice for occasional, non-demanding use)

- best price I've seen is £380 ish in the UK, anyone seen better?

Any other comments or comparisons with the G9 would be most welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

Im also in that prediciment Mark ! i have no camera for the first time in years ... need to get a decent camera .

I have narrowed it down to the G10 , the Nikon 6000, and the latest Canon PowerShot SX.

Fringe contenders are the Olympus SP-570 and Panasonic LX3.

I plan to have this for years to come , so im being really picky !!

The G10 sounds ideal , but for the shorter zoom and its lack of performance in low light ?

Im still swaying towards the G10 though , and the Canon powershot sx10 .

Mark...what will you be using your camera for primarily ????

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭digitalbeginner

I have one on trial at the moment. I'll be using it at my Street Photography Masterclass on Sunday. You're both welcome to give it a try out if you're around,

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

It is going for 355 sterling (8 p&P) on http://www.camerabox.co.uk/ although it is out of stock at the moment. BTW I have never used this crowd and there are some negative reviews for them on http://www.resellerratings.com/.

Did you see this article about it being similar in quality (at low iso's) to a Hasselblad H2 and phase one P45+ system?

Edit to add it is 440 Euro (approx 350 stg) inc delivery from simplyelectronics.net

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

I've also been researching a handy PnS

I'm stuck between the G10 and Lumix DMC-LX3. I'm leaning towards the lumix mainly due to the Leica 2.0 24mm lens.

I am half tempted by going the whole hog and getting the Leica D-Lux 4, but I think that's more to do with the red dot than anything it's capable of.

I haven't held or tested any of them yet, that's the next step.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

Just found the G10 at this website for £341, considerably cheaper than other sites (Amazon is £430) -

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/search/?q=canon%20g10

What am I missing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

ttcomet wrote: »
    Edit to add it is 440 Euro (approx 350 stg) inc delivery from simplyelectronics.net

Really goes to show how much Sterling has dropped in the past few months.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

There are some good deals around at present.

I was weighing up the G9 & G10 recently. I would have liked the wider lens on the G10 but did not want 14.7 Mp in such a small sensor, so went for the G9. Really happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

From the reviews I've read the G9 is the better all round camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

i had a G7 which is retired now, and went into Dixons in Heathrow London looking for the fabled Canon Powershot G9 - they didn't have it the day i was there so i walked out with a G10 instead - it's a little bit bulkier than the G7 was, other than the RAW feature it's pretty much what it says on the box - it's a compact!! not great in low light and has terrible red eye from the flash but like others in its class not any better not any worse!!
    I got mine in early Dec which cost €370. All in all a pretty competent little camera.
    this is the site that has a comparison with a Hasselblad H2
    luminous landscape
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

I bought a G10 as a present for someone from Kerso just before Xmas for £338 including shipping. Fantastic little camera, I'm thinking about getting one for myself now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭decimal

Check out this group test.
    I have the G9 and judging by reviews, I wouldn't care for a step up to the G10. I had the G7 and the low light conditions are a pain, but with RAW on the G9, you can bump up the exposure a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

decimal wrote: »
    Check out this group test.
    I have the G9 and judging by reviews, I wouldn't care for a step up to the G10.
    From the reviews I've read the G9 is the better all round camera.

:rolleyes: :P

Advertisement