Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will 9spd cassette work?

Options
  • 29-10-2008 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

I have an 8 speed system on my bike and have just ordered a new chain and cassette, but, I inadvertently ordered a 9 speed cassette instead of an 8, will it work, would my derailluer be able to move the extra bit with some tweaking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

AFAIK the spacing is probably the same on the casettes amongst 8/9/10, so you will be able to use it fine. However, you will need to decide which 8 of the 9 gears you want to use, as the shifter will not allow you to use them all - i.e. it is the limiting factor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

It all depends on what system it is. If its an indexed system then its very unlikely to work.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It won't work very well at all. Spacing on the cassettes is different and possibly the amount of cable pull too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

When I got a new chain I had to specify what it was for, I presumed they were different thicknesses.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Since the width of the freehub is identical to that of the 8 speed, the derailleur can cope*, but as mentioned indexed shifters won't work at that well.

kenmc - Because the distance between 9spd sprockets is different to the distancebetween 8spd sprockets, he won't be able to use 8 of the 9. You could probably tweak it so that it worked reasonably well for 4 or 5 sprockets, but the wear on some of them would be higher than normal.

*I suspect any long cage derailleur can handle any number of gears

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Basically I need to get the RIGHT cassette, or go the whole hog and swap out my brake/shifters..............anyone got any shimano 9spd shifters, sora or tiagra would be fine.Would pay, obviously.:)

so I would need to swap out my shifters, and possibly but not 100% my rear mech, would that be true?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You probably don't need to touch your rear mech. If it's long cage, you definitely won't have to.

You would need a new shifter for the rear mech. You will probably also need a new chain - as you can see from the link above, the spacing between sprockets is around 0.5mm less on the 9spd cassette. So an 8 speed chain will be too wide and may not work at all or will just shred the crap out of the cassette.

The cheapest option will probably be replacing the cassette.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I would just send the cassette back and swap for an 8 speed. Who did you buy it from? Most of the online retailers (certainly CRC and Wiggle) do no hassle returns. Even if you can't get your money back on the cassette I would still just get the one you need, you may be able to flog it on.

• Advertisement

I bought it on ebay, so was cheap enough, the one I need is also quite cheap, but, now i'm thinking, why not upgrade to 9 speed, the cassette could be just the start.Judging by what every one is saying, I would need to swap out my shifters..........now thats where it gets pricey.my mechs should be fine.

So, anyone out there got any 9 speed shifters that they dont need or are unused, lying in your shed, doing nothing......will pay for them, obviously.
    Like I said before Sora/Tiagra would be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

el tonto wrote: »
    It won't work very well at all. Spacing on the cassettes is different and possibly the amount of cable pull too.

cable shouldnt make too much difference, if its indexed one will have to be tuned out, if not the spacing wont make a difference either.

But would it not be easier to return it?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

xz wrote: »
    I bought it on ebay, so was cheap enough, the one I need is also quite cheap, but, now i'm thinking, why not upgrade to 9 speed, the cassette could be just the start.

That way lies madness.

Lumen wrote: »
    That way lies madness.

but you can get good quality parts very cheap, besides, wiggle and CRC get my money too.................lots of it, have had to start hiding money and credit card from the wife, so she doesnt find out that I am outspending her

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

xz wrote: »
    but you can get good quality parts very cheap, besides, wiggle and CRC get my money too.................lots of it, have had to start hiding money and credit card from the wife, so she doesnt find out that I am outspending her

OK, well if you're looking for ways to spend money, then it's Campag 11 speed FTW. At least you won't have any need to upgrade for a while. :D

Lumen wrote: »
    OK, well if you're looking for ways to spend money, then it's Campag 11 speed FTW. At least you won't have any need to upgrade for a while. :D

with the state of the economy at the moment I would get screwed on a remortgage to pay for that:D

To be honest, I think upgrading to nine speed is a little pointless. It's currently being phased out and only the entry level Shimano stuff has it now. You'd be better off converting to 10 speed, which should be around for a bit longer.

Advertisement