Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-demominational churches in Ireland?

Options
  • 29-10-2008 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Does anyone know of an open-faith church in the East? I'm trying to find a church that suits my beliefs which are God and goodness orientated but not Christian. I'd probably be happy to drive a little outside Dublin. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

A non-Christian church? Do such things exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Aisling&M

Yes Jakkass. Apart from spiritual spaces which I am looking for there are many buildings devoted for divine worship for example Mosques, Synagogues etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Quaker meeting halls would be the closest thing to what you describe if you want a place which anyone can come and sit and pray in.

Or there is a Hindu temple in Dublin if you wish to visit that.
    http://ivt.ie/Venue-Time-Directions.htm

What exactly are you looking for ?

I'm looking for an open place of worship/chapel. Somewhere outside of my home where I can go and sit with my God in spirit with a positive atmosphere of respect for a higher power without any one specific religious designation being preached. I like the atmosphere of churches and enjoy sitting in Catholic churches but I'd like to fit absolutely and belong to a church that I have faith in.

I'll check out some of those links. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

What concept of God do you mean? Or is this just a general being that you refer to as God?

Apologies if I came across as rude, just I had always thought the word "church" had referred to a Christian place of worship.

• Advertisement

Good question.
    The truth is I don't know what or who or where or how God really is and I'm looking for a church or place of worship where that is accepted and God is just an unknown but much trusted entity with whom we can talk to or pray to or ask for guidance etc.
    I like the idea of Catholicism and celebrating Mass but I don't like how we as people have decided who God is and why 'He' made us and what 'He' wants us to do. I find that a little arrogant.
    I suppose my faith is a lot more general and less restricted by rules or regulations and I'd like to find a place to share this with like-minded individuals who believe in the loving power of God (even if we have different ideas about who God is) and work together to share this love/respect.

Maybe I need to start a new religion. Actually i've contemplated in the past creating a sacred space where anyone who believes in any God with loving intent can come and pray.

http://www.quakers-in-ireland.org/
    The Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) in Ireland
    Meetings
    Our Meetings for Worship are public and anyone who wishes to attend is welcome. They are normally held in a meeting room in a Friends Meeting House on a Sunday, and are based on quiet worship and communion with God and with each other. Anyone present who feels moved to do so may speak, pray aloud, or read from the Bible or other writings. The spiritual depth of Quaker worship depends on the prayerful participation of everyone present.

For a more comprehensive description of a Meeting for Worship see the Quaker Worship paper in the Archive sector. For locations of Meetings in Ireland please click on Ulster, Leinster or Munster, or browse below.

"Junior Meeting" or "Sunday School" is a time when adult members of the Meeting take the young people for a variety of activities which may include:- reading, telling stories and discussing a wide range of topics of a religious or other nature, drawing, painting, handcraft, singing, short plays, etc. In accordance with modern practice, the Society of Friends has adopted a Child Protection Policy Document; this updated February 2007 edition is available in pdf format via the foregoing hotlink, and in print.

Addresses and times are set out below, grouped by their Quarterly Meeting (ie regional) affiliations. Meetings are on Sunday unless otherwise indicated. Additional information will be included on the separate pages for each Meeting in due course

Thaedydal wrote: »

thanks for the link. i read up on the Quakers a bit and although it's closer to what I'm looking for it's still Christianity with a focus on Jesus and the Bible.

Ah so your looking for something more like UU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarian_Universalism
    In a survey,[28] Unitarian Universalists in the United States were asked which provided term or set of terms best describe their belief. Many respondents chose more than one term to describe their beliefs. The top choices were:

* Humanist – 54%
    * Agnostic – 33%
    * Earth-centered – 31%
    * Atheist – 18%
    * Buddhist – 16.5%
    * Christian – 13.1%
    * Pagan – 13.1%

There is great variety among Unitarian Universalist congregations, with some favoring particular religious beliefs or forms of worship over others, with many more home to an eclectic mix of beliefs. Regardless of their orientation, most congregations are fairly open to differing beliefs, though not always with various faith traditions represented to the same degree.

http://www.uua.org/aboutus/index.shtml

I think that sounds wonderful. Thanks so much for the link. The church in Stephen's Green feels like it could be the one.
    :D I am so excited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I should have t hought to mention that one. I was at a wedding there and spoke to the "priest"(?) - very nice woman.

I didn't think I'd find something but this sounds almost perfect. I'll try to be careful and not get my hopes up too much though, just in case.
    If there are any Unitarian members I'd love to hear from them.

Aisling&M wrote: »
    I didn't think I'd find something but this sounds almost perfect. I'll try to be careful and not get my hopes up too much though, just in case.
    If there are any Unitarian members I'd love to hear from them.

Just a quick update. I went to the service on Sunday and it was really lovely. I'll be going again. :D

I am happy you found a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Aisling&M wrote: »
    Just a quick update. I went to the service on Sunday and it was really lovely. I'll be going again. :D

Great to here it!

Advertisement