Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Book

Options
  • 29-10-2008 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭

Are these used anymore?

I recently started renting and today phoned the letting agent about getting one. They stated that they don't ever deal with them and that standing orders used nowadays have made them irrelevant.

The only reason I asked about it in the first place is that to date we have not recieved a copy of the lease and both the agents and landlord seem to be dragging thier heels in relation to things. I just think this could be a useful way to track rent payments in the event any issues drag out for whatever reason.

(I want one cos I'm entitled to one:pac:)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Are these used anymore?

(I want one cos I'm entitled to one:pac:)

You are not entitled to a rent book. The requirement is for written evidence of payment of rent. If it is done through a bank then there is written evidence of payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Jo King wrote: »
    You are not entitled to a rent book.

From here

One of these rights is your entitlement to a 'rent book'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Has that not been superceded by the Residential Tenancies Act?

Igy wrote: »
    Has that not been superceded by the Residential Tenancies Act?

only mention of rent books in that act i can find is that local authorities are responsible for enforcing it.... nothing about discontinued or replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sharpsuit

You are not entitled to a rent book. The requirement is for written evidence of payment of rent. If it is done through a bank then there is written evidence of payment.

The obligation in the Rent Book Regulations is on the landlord to acknowledge receipt of rent he or she has received. This can be acknowledged through an inscription in the Rent Book or a receipt provided by the landlord to the tenant within 3 months of receiving the rent. This receipt must be provided by the landlord and not by any other party (eg a lodgment slip from a bank).

• Advertisement

sharpsuit wrote: »
    This receipt must be provided by the landlord and not by any other party (eg a lodgment slip from a bank).

This is what I am getting at and what the letting company tried to fob me off with. Surely a bank statement is not a valid reciept in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sharpsuit

What the Rent Book regs require:

7. In respect of each payment of rent or amount referred to in Article 5 (2) ( f )—

( a ) where payment is handed in person by the tenant or by another person acting on behalf of the tenant to the landlord, the landlord shall, on receipt, either—

(i) record in the rent book the amount, purpose and date of the payment and the period to which it relates, or
    (ii) provide the person making the payment with a receipt stating the amount, purpose and date of the payment and the house and period to which the payment relates, or

( b ) where payment is made otherwise than in accordance with paragraph ( a ) of this article, the landlord shall, not more than 3 months after receipt, either—
    (i) record in the rent book the amount, purpose and date of the payment and the period to which it relates, or
    (ii) provide the tenant with a written statement of the amount, purpose and date of the payment, and
    the landlord shall sign each record made and receipt provided in accordance with paragraphs (a) and (b) (i) of this article.

If it is done through a bank then there is written evidence of payment.

Where? A bank statement is not a valid reciept.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Where? A bank statement is not a valid reciept.

The tenant is paying the money top the bank which is acting as agent of the landlord. The bank statement clearly identifies the payment.

The tenant is paying the money top the bank which is acting as agent of the landlord. The bank statement clearly identifies the payment.

It shows a payment to an account with no details other than SO XXXXXX see below from Tenancy act. Nor does it have any details of the dates it is for.
    sharpsuit wrote: »
    What the Rent Book regs require:

7. In respect of each payment of rent or amount referred to in Article 5 (2) ( f )—

( b ) where payment is made otherwise than in accordance with paragraph ( a ) (IE SO) of this article, the landlord shall, not more than 3 months after receipt, either—
    (ii) provide the tenant with a written statement of the amount, purpose and date of the payment, and
    the landlord shall sign each record made and receipt provided in accordance with paragraphs (a) and (b) (i) of this article.

• Advertisement
Advertisement