Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TT bikes versus Road bikes

Options
  • 28-10-2008 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi guys,

I am looking at buying a TT/triathlon bike over a road bike. But I am not sure. Specifically looking at the Planet X Stealth over the SL Carbon. Both carbon, both the same price.

I've read that the TT bikes, are quicker but more uncomfortable due to the position you are put in while riding. But I dont see how they cannot be adjusted even slightly.

Ive also read that the Stealth is the one that Cadel Evans actualy used in last years Tour and is more comfortable than most TT bikes, usable for long journeys.

Are these bike much faster? Are they as good on ascents as road bikes? Could they get damaged easier or something? I am wondering at all why they could be at such a low price, and why other mortals arent throwing themselves at the offer planet X has going. What would the Road bike have over the TT bike. I cycled the road bike which is really nice, and am aware that the TT bike might be a gamble of some sort.

I really enjoy the long cycles out and up steep hills but would using a TT bike be ridiculus for such cycles? I am not about to buy disk wheels or anything like that.

L.B.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Are you planning on doing time trials or triathlons? If not, then a road bike is what you should consider. Yes a TT bike is faster, but marginally so unless you're an incredibly strong rider and it's only really suited to flat courses. Not good for climbing and definitely not good for descending.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Pointless unless you are planning to do time-trials or tris. Very specific bikes built for a specific purpose.

You wouldn't take a formula 1 car out and about town (well, it would be fun but you get my drift!)

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

A tri/TT bike is very comfortable and good for what it's intended for, i.e. long solo rides, not so great for more technical riding or climbing. The riding position also uses different muscles and accomodates smother transitions to the run in triathlons. Unless you're primarily interested in TTs and triathlons, I'd go for a road bike. You can always get clip/bolt on aero bars and even a tri saddle and seapost for those solo rides :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Have you read this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

SetOverSet wrote: »
    A tri/TT bike is very comfortable and good for what it's intended for, i.e. long solo rides, not so great for more technical riding or climbing. The riding position also uses different muscles and accomodates smother transitions to the run in triathlons. Unless you're primarily interested in TTs and triathlons, I'd go for a road bike. You can always get clip/bolt on aero bars and even a tri saddle and seapost for those solo rides :)

Spot on

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Leggy Blonde

Thanks for the responses guys. Yeah, the thing is i suppose I already have a road bike albeit an entry level specialized allez, (with poor parts on it) which I can use for some of the more mountainous sunday afternoon cycles.

I am interested that you say the TT bike is good for long journeys.

say if you were to cycle the length of the country in as quick a time as possible? which one would you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

say if you were to cycle the length of the country in as quick a time as possible? which one would you use?

Road bike all the way - the lower position on a TT/Tri bike would probably be unmaintainable for large distances

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

You'll probably get different opinions, but I'd personally use a nice road bike, an S-Works Roubaix like below perhaps. Sounds like someone really wants a TT bike :D Be sure and post pics if you buy one!

9793-12_SW_RBX_TeamRed_RSYSprem_d.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

i know a few who did that cycle end to end leggy, they used a tt bike.

I wouldnt buy one if its only for the occasional long distance spin, as its uncomfortable unless you get used to the position and the position is very different from a normal road bike.
    Try and borrow one from someone for a weekend and do your own comparison over a route, using both bikes, try it out on all terrains up hill, down hill etc...........

personally id upgrade the road bike, fit mudguards on the allez and use it for mucky days, get tri bars for the new bike and learn what the different position would be like, mark it and you can change the bike around for its different uses as you see fit.
    Also will keep money in your pocket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

OK well to start I don't have a TT bike (yet :D) But I do reckon there is a reason that the vast majority of people are on standard road bikes.

Do you want a bike primarily for racing in triathlons (I can only presume as there aren't that many time trials?) As this is the only reason I can really see for one, as it _will_ give you a definite advantage if you are fitted right and comfortable on it. Also bear in mind that TT bikes are banned in group riding/racing, they really are just for solo events (e.g. TTs or tris.)

For going up or down hills I believe they are not great. Any person I saw on a TT bike in the Wicklow 200 looked thoroughly miserable (although I reckon they were mostly triathletes on their day out :D)

If you are not racing time trials or doing triathlons, I really don't see the point. They are distinctly faster solo on a flat course but we are still only talking a few km/h. For me the fact that you can't ride with other people on one would be a big negative, especially if it is your only good bike.

Bottom line (for me anyway) would be that if you only have an entry-level road bike look at upgrading that to a nicer road bike before considering a TT bike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I have a Planet X Stealth.
    No probs. for rolling courses (TT's). Very fast, dependant on the training you've done, skin suit, aero helmet etc.

Did 9/10 TT's last year and improved on my times as opposed to a road bike, obviously.

Last TT last year was an IVCA (Vets) 50 TT. My first 50.
    For the last (too many lasts' here, sorry, this will be my last "last") 10 miles or so it was INCREDIBLY uncomfortable as regards, neck and shoulders, almost packing in. Could hardly, keep my head up. but then again, that was an extreme distance for me.

For a Tri., what distance would you be talking about?

Rear disc can be quiet heavy (regarding hills). OK on, as above rolling courses. I was using a Zipp 909 set. Rear disc, Zipp is apparently 1200gr.
    Don't fancy hauling that fat ass up a hill.

Basically, a TT bike can be very awkward to control. Try and try one before you purchase. You can have a spin on mine if you want...........but, first time.....very difficult to control. Try putting tri bars on a road bike first, cheaper alternative.

wow. very useful, 40 miles before the position becomes too uncomfortable to bear. dont know how the other lad said someone did malin to mizen on one.

i tried out a ridley bike that seemed much more like a tt bike. it was lightening quick on the flat and moderate downhills hitting over 60kmph without anything crazy going on. it wasnt great on any serious incline.

might trust the elders and stick to the road bike. its basicaly the 525 frame offer panet x have that im looking at at the moment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

If you look at the recent RAAM all the riders were using road bikes with clip on aero bars. Unless you are going to do the TT league in the North you'd be wasting your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I just ordered a planet x stealth frame, but for your use I would go for a road bike. A TT frame will kill you on longer spins and is not suitable for general cycling, especially on longer trips. The more forward and lower position is not good for comfort and for people who do the Malin/Mizen type events, there are many years of training in that position, like the guy who tried to break the record this year but his neck muscles gave out and they had to stick an unmbrella down the back of his jersey and tape his head to it, to keep his head up ! Besides comfort issues, for general riding I find that TT bikes handle like an oil tanker, not great for those winter rides on windy, hilly, wet country laneways, better suited for TT specific courses. Well most of them anyway !

TT bikes are generally best for shorter triathlon's and specific TT's. I am only getting one because, I like how they look, already have the disc wheel and most of the components anyway and I will get a little use out of one next year in various road races with TT's and hopefully a couple of triathlons.

For you, road bike all the way. Get a set of clip ons and you will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Bruce11

A Tri bike is slightly different from a road bike in that the geometry of theframe is set up to use different muscles so as that the triathlete is less tired with some leg muscles for the run portion of the tri. The low postion will gain them seconds but only if they are powering along.

A TT bike might be more like the road bike but you will need to find out the geometry of the seat tube and the BB position. Like the Tri bike you need to practice on this bike so as to maintain and feel comfortable in the superman tuck postion. You are limited to about 3 hand postions with the cowhorn bars.

A road bike is what you need, if you want tri bars can be added or taken away from the bike as needs be.

Cycling up hills on a TT/Tri machine for leisure is not nice and not what I would do. For climbing you will be using the end of the cowhorns.

Cycling in groups, most club rides ban tri bars on a road bike let alone anyone going on a TT/Tri bike. And conversation is not easy when one rider in the tuck and the other on the brake hoods, different levels.

Cool looking machines and would dearly love one but head rules heart and the matter off practicality wins out. A ood tri bar set up, an aero helemt, carbon rims and you will still gain as much benefit on a well sized road frame.

Advertisement