Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDD repair

Options
  • 28-10-2008 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭

Have a damaged HDD that I want to try and recover some files off. I have most of it backed up except for DVDs I don't want to rip again and pictures from the summer. Drive was in a caddy and was knocked of a table when turned on. It's no longer recognised in Xp and makes a clicking noise when powered on. Is there anyone who'd be able to take a look at it or would repairing it be prohibitively expensive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 skinner75

Doesn't sound good tbh...

Data recovery is expensive - at least a grand, which you pay even if they can't recover any data!

I'd consider the drive dead, the data lost, and just move on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Normally this type of repair is very expensive, if you are willing to risk it google the freezer trick for hdd

MC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I agree with the two previous. Out sourcing repair/data recovery to the drive will be costly.
    The clicking you hear is the arms reaching across the cylinder disks as they try to read them with their heads.
    This is NOT a good sound to hear at any stage. Even if you were able to extract anything form it, you would (or should) never use it again.

There is a number of well known home tricks for retrieving data from the drive. Do not use or spin-up the hard-drive till your ready to use the retrieval methods. The drive will only work for so long now before it won't respond at all eventually. What little use that is left in it, should be kept till your ready to go with rescue methods.

Have a read here:
    http://www.suggestafix.com/lofiversion/index.php/t16198.html
    http://blogs.msdn.com/brada/archive/2007/06/22/help-my-hard-disk-crashed.aspx

Good luck.

Advertisement