Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with scum in my estate

Options
  • 28-10-2008 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hey, looking for a bit of advise

I moved into an estate about 6 months back, Im at the front of it only a few doors down from the main road
    In one of the 1st weekends we had a young lad try and put a plank through a back window, nothing happened for a while but in the last 6 or 7 weeks its got steadily worse, starting with someone trying the back door when I was in work, then some small things being thrown at the car (they hung around at the bottom of the driveway until they saw me and ran off, I was in no mood for a chase), then last weekend I came home to find a rock through the from window and finally, when I came home yesterday there were young lads on the road oposite my house, after about 20 minutes they started setting of fireworks (got no problem with that at all) then got a knock on the door to say someone set my hedge on fire, gardai and firebrigade called and got it sorted

I think it stems from the 1st problem when I saw the young lad and I cornered him on the green till the gardai arrived.

The gardai have said that there is very little they can do unless they catch them or they admit it

So do I have any options either with my local councilor or is there anything else I can do

We are expecting our 1st in December and dont want this stuff going on

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Call the Gardai, call the Gardai, call the Gardai.

People hanging around can be considered loitering or you can say that they are threatening and intimidating you.

If you have things thrown at your house, call the Gardai. Report everything.

There's really not much more that you can do. Let the Gardai know that there is a problem, and make them deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Chunkylover

Cheers
    Sadly I have done, Im now on 1st name terms with most of the gardai, theyve been great, takes them about 5 minutes to get to my house, a drive that normallt takes me about 10
    The gardai know theres a problem, even when I rang them the very 1st time, they gave me the name of 1 of the lads, I had only moved in so didnt know if it was him, the neighbours have told me its 1 extended family that causes all the hassle

the council have removed a lot of laneways at the back of houses to stop the problems but know the hassle has moved from the back of houses to the front
    I feel as if theres feck all I can do cause if I go up to them, Im just gonna get a smack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I wonder would it be of any use to get hold of a camcorder and use that whenever possible to try and catch people in the act?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Ouch, sounds like you're stuck in a very bad situation.

Not sure where things sit, in relation to restraining orders and such. Might be worth asking the Gardai about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

from experience if you lay off the authorities and leave them be it will die down. I know it's tough but they are sussing you out and will move on to somethig else if they don't get a reaction. Cornering that lad may not have been the best move. It's a sad situation but chances of conviction are slim and even if it did happen there would be lads around to 'get revenge'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

sweetie wrote: »
    from experience if you lay off the authorities and leave them be it will die down
    Bad, bad idea. I had some problems like this when I moved into a low rent area myself about a year and a half ago. I set about clearing up the wasters once they started knocking rocks off the back window, and called the guards at every turn. I also made good friends with the neighbours and everybody looks out for everyone else.

Now its a great place to live, although I still pay the low rent!

You just need to keep the pressure up, and if my taxes are paying their mammys' social welfare, they had best keep clear of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Bad, bad idea. I had some problems like this when I moved into a low rent area myself about a year and a half ago. I set about clearing up the wasters once they started knocking rocks off the back window, and called the guards at every turn. I also made good friends with the neighbours and everybody looks out for everyone else.

Now its a great place to live, although I still pay the low rent!

You just need to keep the pressure up, and if my taxes are paying their mammys' social welfare, they had best keep clear of me.

it's just that they aren't afraid of the gardai anymore and it can only antagonise them further. Definitely a good idea to be friendly towards neighbours and take part in any community meetings etc. I had window
    broken, lawnmower stolen and car broken into in the first few months but
    a neighbour had a word and they eventually laid off. good luck with whatever you choose to do. vigilantes would be great, eh ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Chunky lover, (love the name :)) Ive posted on this before. I have had a large degree of success with similiar behaviour so I will try to give you the benefit of my experience.
    I found the guards less than useless and only reported the issues to cover my ass when I brought the matter to other authorities.
    I got to know my local councillers very well and they were very good at mediating between youth groups, certain families :rolleyes: and the housing association.
    Antisocial behaviour in co council estates by tenants can result in the families being evicted. A warning letter from the council saw one little f**ker off. (there the good relationship with councillers helped)
    I bought and borrowed some of the best cameras and recording equipment I could get my hands on and never attempted to hide the fact I was recording them. (despite what you may hear it is legal to record antisocial behaviour)
    I found a new love for anti burgular paint ( so many track suits wrecked :D). I put the stuff every where.
    The problem didnt go overnight but did abate over time. If you have a residents association in your area contact them for pointers.

You have my sympathy and hope that this is of some help to you.

it's just that they aren't afraid of the gardai anymore and it can only antagonise them further.
    The Gardai can prosecute a case or not at their own discretion, so if the locals aren't afraid of the Guards its because the Guards aren't motivated enough to press a prosecution or two. Also Axel has some good points there. Pick up the phone and call your councillor!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

it's just that they aren't afraid of the gardai anymore and it can only antagonise them further. Definitely a good idea to be friendly towards neighbours and take part in any community meetings etc. I had window
    broken, lawnmower stolen and car broken into in the first few months but
    a neighbour had a word and they eventually laid off. good luck with whatever you choose to do. vigilantes would be great, eh ;)

Yeah neighbours are good, myself and the OH live in an ok area mostly working class. Don't really have any problems apart from one day some guy was so hammered he was thinking my house was his own and was banging the door down to get in with the petrified GF inside! The neighbour was out to point him in the direction of his house!

Also there is a row of 3 houses and our neighbour above is a great guy and his wife is chairwoman of the committe so nothign ever happens at our way which is good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

Find out if there is any Sinn Fein councillor in your area,and he/she should do something about it,maybe a word with the offenders or go to the council or gaurds demand something be done,make sure theres vote in it for them,Should do something about the problem,and the culprits should get a scare when they hear whose on there case,just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Poloman

Get a webcam for front and back of house.

Strangly enough no neighbours saw or heard anything, not even the 2 fireengines or the gardai with the sirens outside

Sadly no sinn fein councillor but they have a rep. down here so Ive fired off a mail to him

Got none of that tinternet stuff down my way yet, not sure if I want to get a camera, my mas neighbour got one and it just made things worse cause they knew they were getting to her

The layout of my garden is so that it is very easy for them to disappear from sight when they are in my front garden so Im using it as an excuse to cut down the hedges

Im away for haloween so itll be fun to see what I come back to on Saturday

Thanks for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

Well, lets go back to the source. If wee Johnny is about corner him and take him home. Knock the door and tell the parents in a quiet and confident manner that the next time there is any trouble at your house and people generally annoying your family that you will call the Gardai and tell them that it was wee Johnny who did it (regardless if he did or not). All that you want to do is live in your house with your family without having to worry about your young family being terrorised.

Otherwise its time to fight fire with fire. Catch wee Jonny some night and give him a good beating. Take him into your house and call the Gardai and tell them you caught him coming in through the back door of the house - he struggled and hit his face against the kitchen door or table or something like that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

mrgaa1 wrote: »
    Well, lets go back to the source. If wee Johnny is about corner him and take him home. Knock the door and tell the parents in a quiet and confident manner that the next time there is any trouble at your house and people generally annoying your family that you will call the Gardai and tell them that it was wee Johnny who did it (regardless if he did or not). All that you want to do is live in your house with your family without having to worry about your young family being terrorised.

Otherwise its time to fight fire with fire. Catch wee Jonny some night and give him a good beating. Take him into your house and call the Gardai and tell them you caught him coming in through the back door of the house - he struggled and hit his face against the kitchen door or table or something like that.

MrGAA1 - 1 week ban for advocating violence.

Behave guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

mrgaa1 wrote: »
    Otherwise its time to fight fire with fire.

My uncle thought the same thing, probably why he got thrown out of the fire brigade!*

*copyright Harry Hill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Irlbo wrote: »
    Find out if there is any Sinn Fein councillor in your area,and he/she should do something about it,maybe a word with the offenders or go to the council or gaurds demand something be done,make sure theres vote in it for them,Should do something about the problem,and the culprits should get a scare when they hear whose on there case,just a thought

SF does not automatically mean solving problems like this more than any other party. Personally I would not want to be beholden to them!

Its just got worse

I came home last night to find a smirnoff bottle thru the front window, its taken the whole window out so anyone can walk straight in

Im just getting pissed off with it all at the moment, whenever I leave the house for a night something happens

There were about 20 guys and girls on the green infront of the house, no more that 15 years old and as I came out 1 shouted over, we smashed your window mister, went over to them and they surrounded me, explained that I didnt want any hassle, just explained that there will soon be a baby home and it needs to stop, Im not gonna start getting people smacked around just yet
    Gardai said there was nothing they could do, they have a good idea how it is and why but they can do feck all unless they catch him, they wont give me his address either, got the impression though that whenever theyve been around the parents havnt helped out that much either

Looking at getting the camera put in, atleast if we get a pic of them itll help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

Can i just ask were the estate is??

Tbh- I think you have to get a camera installed pronto.
    You need rock solid evidence against these guys.

• Advertisement

Gardai said there was nothing they could do, they have a good idea how it is and why but they can do feck all unless they catch him
    Thats nonsense right there. It translates to, I couldn't be arsed with the paperwork. They can convict someone on the word of a senior Garda if it takes their fancy. You need to start putting pressure on them immediately in any way you can. Have you contacted your representative yet? Also I'd have a chat with the Garda ombudsman as well.

It sounds like you not only aren't getting the exclusive enjoyment of your home you are guaranteed, but your physical well being is at risk, and at no point should that be tolerated. Did you contact your immediate neighbours, or are they the problem?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Get in touch with your local TD.
    I'm having some problems round my way, nothing as bad as you.
    I sent an e-mail last week to Emmet Stagg (he covers my area) he answered me within two days, had his cllr. up to see me day before yesterday and they will be discussing the problem today. At that stage they will let me know what they will be doing about it. So far the service from them is excellent, so give your local cllr. a go and get them to help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

What if the baby had been in the front room when the window was smashed?

This needs to be escalated, quickly, and if your local garda station won't listen, you need to start going higher up the ladder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 JOL

Sorry to hear about all of your Neighbours from Hell.

It would be nice to discipline the hand full of upstarts causing the trouble.
    Definately go to their parents and threaten them with the guards and ASBO's against their wee treasures.

If like in my experience the ignorant child comes form a broken family whose parents don't want to discipline the child for fear or rejection of them, it can make harder for anyone to discipline the child.

Did you look into the device that emits a sound only teenagers can hear?
    It is supposed to work, can't vouch for it. See link for some info.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/content/articles/2006/04/04/mosquito_sound_wave_feature.shtml

With a bit of luck they will get bored and move on.

I think we all agree a good thrashing might make them rethink their fun and games as this is all it is to them and they have no right to terrorise innocent hard working people and I challange any do-gooder to think otherwise, as the do-gooder might have a different opinion if they were the victim.

BTW: I don't agree with violence as a solution to voilence, but when these ignorant upstarts don't respect anything or anyone and are not getting the help they need (Mentally), what do you do? Do-gooders please enlighten me.

Rant over...lies down waiting to be banned...

I'm not a do-gooder, but I disagree with violence, primarily as I do not believe that it will solve anything. That ultrasonic emitter that you mentioned sounds like a great idea, imho- but I believe that you should back it up with vandal proof cameras. As soon as they figure that there is no fun in hassling you anymore- they'll move on and find a new target.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 JOL

SMCCARRIC, I wans't having a dig at you.

Neither you nor I can solve this problem unfortunately.

I'd love to have a forum where our representatives and politicains would provide feedback and solutions to show they have an interest in their general public, and use the internet as a tool. They should have plenty of time while in transit to meetings and at their holiday homes, and maybe using less of their time feathering their nest, but dealing with the tougher issues.

Every bloody politician sould be given an e-mail address which one of their employed family members could sift through for them, and tackle issues by their severity, and maybe if they were smart enough they could perform trend analysis and make reports on the demographics of their elected area.

The root cause of the problems with society are never addressed until they manifest themselves at a later stage and then we are firefighting them.

Our Justice system has a lot to answer for also.

Sorry for being off the topic but I had to let that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

OP. I know exactly what you are going through. I lived in a hole of an estate in Dublin 15 and for 3 years we had nothing but trouble. I was constantly on to TD's, councillors, the guards, the council, the residents committee and nothing changed.

The final straw was when I came back from a 2 week holiday to find that my whole front window was smashed in with a huge rock. Even though I knew who had done it the people where never prosecuted. I decided for my sanity and the fact that I was on the verge of causing these people serious physical harm that it was better if myself and my partner got out so thankfully in July of this year I got out of the place and moved away and am so much happier now.

Getting the camera in is the best thing to do imo because if you have evidence of these scumbags causing trouble the guards cannot ignore you. Hopefully you will be allowed to do this though. I was told by the guards that I could not put a camera up outside my house as it would be pointing towards a public access point and that would infringe on peoples rights. Scumbags have the run of some parts of this country and it is time it stopped.

Im hoping to meet a local representitive from one of the parties tonight or tomorrow, also Ive been looking at the camera idea

At the moment, the girlfriend wont go near it and I cant blame her

I thought that after 3 months of the original incident it would have stopped but it feels like its all against me and no one else in the estate

The neighbours arnt the best, Im in a semi and the neighbour went into a home about 2 months back (his house hasnt been touched)
    The others held me responsible cause "I didnt do enough to get the 1st guy done"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Chunkylover God its bringing it all back. I feel so bad for you.

Contact all of the councillors because you dont know which one has the most influence over your area. If you are looking for names and addresses I recommend that you ask one of the local kids (slip them a fiver) give all the information over to the councillors. Did you speak the housing dept in the council yet?

Some of the cameras that record onto your hard drive are quite good and not too intrusive. Make sure that it records good night time images. Im sorry but most of the guards are too lazy to do the paper work. ( To the best of my knoweledge there has been no asbos issued in the state). You may have some joy if you go to the station and make a formal complaint about their lack of action, also do you have the number of the comminity guard for the area? (hes more likely to give out names and addresses)

Everytime you see them gather outside your house take pictures, keep them, when they question you about it tell them that you may need to identify them at a later date. ;) (no its not illegal either - because Ive done it)

Hopefully when school opens it will abate.

Screw the neighbours! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

Sometimes voilence can be the only answer.What if the guards,tds etc etc do nothing???are you supposed to just sit back and wait till you are possibly burned alive in your house:eek:because who knows what the scum will do.The law is a disgrace in this country.The scum get a slap on the hand and off they go again,thats why there are alot of people taking the law into there own hands and you CANNOT BLAME THEM !;)

Advertisement