Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptops for Aunties **PLEASE HELP**

Options
  • 28-10-2008 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi guys, i have been given the responsibility of getting a laptop for my aunt, she's willing to spend up to a 1000 ,the dell one detailed below comes to €988. She's looking to have it for a good few years and as a replacement for a PC as the kids are always running around. i dont want to get her one thats gonna go slow after a few months of usage etc ya know. She'll be using it for basic processes, Word etc for work, internet etc and probably a few kiddie type games etc but i dont want it to be goin slow on her. Any feedback atall would be much appreciated as i'm looking to get her one by the end of the week.
    Dell Studio 17 (1073502)
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8100 (2.1 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 3 MB L2 Cache

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1- English
    Microsoft® Works 9.0 / English - (Does not include Microsoft® Word

1 Year Limited Warranty - Collect & Return
    2.0 Mega pixel Integrated Web Camera - CCFL
    Jet Black Colour with Matte Finish
    17 Widescreen WXGA+ CCFL (1440x900) TFT Display with TrueLife

4096MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
    320GB (5.400rpm) SATA Hard Drive
    IntelJ Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Slot Load Drive including Software

Dell™ Bluetooth Travel Mouse

Primary 9-cell 87 WHr Lithium Ion battery

Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Module
    Dell Wireless 1397 Mini Card (802.11 b/g
    No Security/Anti-Virus Protection - English

Also Includes
    1 Meter Power Cord (3 Wire) - UK
    English - Documentation Studio 1735
    N1073502
    1Yr Limited Warranty - Collect & Return
    90W Power Adapter (3 Wire)
    Studio 1735 Order - Ireland
    Studio 1735 Resource DVD (Diagnostic & Drivers)
    Wireless Label (Dell Wireless Cards)- Core 2 Duo

or if you guys would recommend any other ideas for her, muchos appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What does your aunt want a laptop for? What model is the one above? How much is it?
    Have a read of the "how to get help on this forum" sticky and post back.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Plambey

What does your aunt want a laptop for? What model is the one above? How much is it?
    Have a read of the "how to get help on this forum" sticky and post back.

think i must have been editing this just as you replied.

its the dell studio 17 (N1073502) for €988 and she wants it as a decent laptop to last a good few years, atleast 6 plus, you know the type, she wont want to get a new one again for a good while, keep photos of the kids on it, do her word processing etc for her job in accountancy firm or something similar, surf the net, wants it running nice and fast, no slow down, keep in contact with family etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

To the OP:

You could have a €2000 laptop versus a €300 laptop and Windows will still degrade at the same rate irregardless of the hardware spec. I wouldn't spend a big wad of cash on a laptop for doing mundane things. What if it got nicked? If it's going to be on the internet alot, run crapcleaner to dump all the temp stuff that builds. Keep Windows and the Antivirus software upto date. Linux...well that's another days chat ;-)

For a start avoid Vista is you want hassle free 'ish' computing. Look for a XP downgrade option
    2GB RAM for smooth running with multiple windows open (4GB is a waste)
    I'm not too up on CPUs and the numbering they use, but almost any dual core CPU today is good enough for a non techy auntie
    80GB hard drives are a thing of the past and any laptop today has adequate storage space
    6 cell battery for a "reported 3 hours running time" Yeah right!!!
    Integrated webcam is a nice extra
    Screen size...it's a personal preference
    Dump the supplied antivirus and run AVG FREE. I doubt she will be surfing any dodgy websites or getting dodgy email attachments
    Dump any MS Office trial... Install Openoffice for tying letters, spreadsheets etc etc.
    In fact, dump all the bloatware :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

http://www.apple.com/ie/macbook/white/

problem solved... no viruses, easier to use, wont randomly decide to not work as often as a pc. has stuff for photos and everything built in. Its pretty noob proof

humaxf1 wrote: »
    To the OP:

You could have a €2000 laptop versus a €300 laptop and Windows will still degrade at the same rate irregardless of the hardware spec. I wouldn't spend a big wad of cash on a laptop for doing mundane things. What if it got nicked? If it's going to be on the internet alot, run crapcleaner to dump all the temp stuff that builds. Keep Windows and the Antivirus software upto date. Linux...well that's another days chat ;-)

For a start avoid Vista is you want hassle free 'ish' computing. Look for a XP downgrade option
    2GB RAM for smooth running with multiple windows open (4GB is a waste)
    I'm not too up on CPUs and the numbering they use, but almost any dual core CPU today is good enough for a non techy auntie
    80GB hard drives are a thing of the past and any laptop today has adequate storage space
    6 cell battery for a "reported 3 hours running time" Yeah right!!!
    Integrated webcam is a nice extra
    Screen size...it's a personal preference
    Dump the supplied antivirus and run AVG FREE. I doubt she will be surfing any dodgy websites or getting dodgy email attachments
    Dump any MS Office trial... Install Openoffice for tying letters, spreadsheets etc etc.
    In fact, dump all the bloatware :D

Cool, you'd reccommend goin with the 2gb ram yeh? upgrade to the 9cell battery?
    yeh i aint payin for that MS office stooff, its comin free so i'll leave it, she'll love it ;). so you think even if i downgrade a few things, ram, memory, screen size etc, she'll still b happy and squeeze one in for maybe €800 ish, still cool yeh? cheers for your advice.

• Advertisement

Plambey wrote: »
    Cool, you'd reccommend goin with the 2gb ram yeh? upgrade to the 9cell battery?
    yeh i aint payin for that MS office stooff, its comin free so i'll leave it, she'll love it ;). so you think even if i downgrade a few things, ram, memory, screen size etc, she'll still b happy and squeeze one in for maybe €800 ish, still cool yeh? cheers for your advice.

32bit versions of Windows can only address a max of 3.5'ish' GB, so 2GB is fine
    Big screen = more weight its a personal preference
    9cell battery = more weight again, personal preference

I'd say you could easily get a 15" screen & a 6cell batt for around the 800mark if not alot less. Remember, Dell are not the be all end all. The saved money could be well spent on a carry bag for protection and an external hard drive to back up photos, music, office docs, internet favourites, accounts data etc etc.

Vostro 1510

BASE Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T5670 (1.8 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache, 800 MHz FSB) edit
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Business (SP1) with XP Pro installed and Vista & XP Media-English edit
    LCD 15.4" Widescreen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display with Anti-Glare Coating edit
    INTEGRATED WEBCAM Glossy Black without Camera edit
    MEMORY 2048MB (2x1024) 667MHz DDR2 Dual Channel edit
    HARD DRIVE 250GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive edit
    GRAPHICS CARD IntelJ Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 edit
    OPTICAL DRIVE Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Slot Load Drive including Software edit
    PRIMARY BATTERY Primary 6-cell 56 WHr Lithium Ion battery edi

This is taken from the Business section of Dell (I've ordered from this and I dont run a company) where certain laptops have a XP downgrade option. Weighs in at €544+VAT and shipping (normally 50quid) Works out roughly 700euro give or take which includes the carry case and bluetooth.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

humaxf1 wrote: »
    Vostro 1510

BASE Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T5670 (1.8 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache, 800 MHz FSB) edit
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Business (SP1) with XP Pro installed and Vista & XP Media-English edit
    LCD 15.4" Widescreen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display with Anti-Glare Coating edit
    INTEGRATED WEBCAM Glossy Black without Camera edit
    MEMORY 2048MB (2x1024) 667MHz DDR2 Dual Channel edit
    HARD DRIVE 250GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive edit
    GRAPHICS CARD IntelJ Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 edit
    OPTICAL DRIVE Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Slot Load Drive including Software edit
    PRIMARY BATTERY Primary 6-cell 56 WHr Lithium Ion battery edi

This is taken from the Business section of Dell (I've ordered from this and I dont run a company) where certain laptops have a XP downgrade option. Weighs in at €544+VAT and shipping (normally 50quid) Works out roughly 700euro give or take which includes the carry case and bluetooth.
    I'd go with this, it's more than enough for what she'd be using it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Youd want to slap on that 4 year warranty though if she plans on keeping it very long. But in all common sense shed be wiser to expect to replace it after 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Spyral wrote: »
    no viruses,
    Neither have my last 3 PCs. Your point?
    Spyral wrote:
    easier to use,
    Load of crap
    Spyral wrote:
    wont randomly decide to not work as often as a pc.
    Examples? Care to elaborate? Never had a problem with my PCs not working.
    Spyral wrote:
    has stuff for photos and everything built in.
    What?
    Spyral wrote:
    Its pretty noob proof
    So is a tractor as long as you show some common sense.

• Advertisement

hey guys, yeh i appreciate dell aint the be all end all, but its one i trust, have had no real problem with my other dell products over the years. as for laptops, aint a big fan on Macs. ipods good, but i cant handle the lack of right click to be honest, and i doubt my aunt would b up to usin mac as opposed to windows.

appreciate ur ideas guys, gonna have a good look through em an c how it goes, any other ideas still much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

1000 euro for a laptop for word processing and surfing the web for your Aunt. Are you nuts? Why dont you just take her cash and burn it.

I just picked up a PIII 1Ghz w/512mb RAM laptop & installed Ubuntu for a non-techie mate. Its exactly as capable as a 1000 euro machine at running firefox and openoffice. It cost me 40 euro.

At least buy the very lowest spec business machine from Dell. Even that is huge overkill.

CiaranC wrote: »
    1000 euro for a laptop for word processing and surfing the web for your Aunt. Are you nuts? Why dont you just take her cash and burn it.

I just picked up a PIII 1Ghz w/512mb RAM laptop & installed Ubuntu for a non-techie mate. Its exactly as capable as a 1000 euro machine at running firefox and openoffice. It cost me 40 euro.

At least buy the very lowest spec business machine from Dell. Even that is huge overkill.

well 1000 is the budget, its not solely for net and word processing, she's looking for it to replace a desktop. wat harddrive did ur laptop have?

Advertisement