Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy bulk wild bird food?

Options
  • 28-10-2008 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

This Winter I intend to avoid handing over large amounts of money to Woodies, B&Q etc for 5kg bags of bird seed.

I found 25kg sacks of peanuts at Quinns of Naas (€38) that should last a few months. Does anyone know where to buy bird seed in bulk in the Kildare area?

Thanks

Lost
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sineadgalway

aldi/lidl had some this week, not sure which one but think it was lidl...

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭lostinNaas

thanks for the tip - I'll have a look there. After searching this forum ( I suppose I should have done that first ), I also checked with the pet shop in Naas and they do sacks of seed also, €21.50 for 20kg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭thelurch

theres a hardware halfway out on the montread ? rd coming from nass on the right, cant remember the name but its a big independant hardware store, They sell it in huge bins, fill a 25kg bag of mixed seed,nuts etc, less than 35 euro for the lot ! You will have to lash it over your shoulder to carry it out. Have a look for it, if you cannot find it , I will hunt down the name and phone no for you. m

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It was Aldi that had the seed. 14 euro for a 12.75kg box.

thelurch wrote: »
    theres a hardware halfway out on the monread rd ...
    I think that must be Johnsons.. I looked today and they don't do bulk, only small bags.
    The best deal locally seems to be Tina's Pet Shop on Friary Road. I got a 25kg bag of wild bird seed for €20.50.

Thanks for the tips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Kess73 wrote: »
    It was Aldi that had the seed. 14 euro for a 12.75kg box.
    Lidl had a similar offer a month or so ago.
    I got 4 boxes of the stuff only to discover that the mix is different from last year, it now seems to be nearly half wheat and the rest a fairly decent wild bird seed mix.
    Anyone else notice this?
    I'm adding extra sunflower seeds and the sparrows and tits just fling the wheat seed onto the ground and carry on eating.
    Even the pigeons are having a tough time to get through all the spilled wheat! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Generally the cheaper the seed mix the more wheat is in it. Try pet shops like Jolleys who have all the various seeds loose and do a quality mix at reasonable prices.

Generally the cheaper the seed mix the more wheat is in it. Try pet shops like Jolleys who have all the various seeds loose and do a quality mix at reasonable prices.
    I realise now that it wasn't a bargain, just a cheap bird seed mix.
    Do any wild birds actually like wheat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Johnstown Garden Centre near Naas have a good selection.

http://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/location.htm

I bought sunflower seed in bulk there (boxes of 8 x 1.5 kg bags), and recently some nyjer seed. I ordered the bulk sunflower and collected a few weeks later. Goldfinch, coat tit, blue tit eat sunflower, and goldfinch like the nyjer (you need special feeders with very small seed holes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lancaster

lostinNaas wrote: »
    This Winter I intend to avoid handing over large amounts of money to Woodies, B&Q etc for 5kg bags of bird seed.

I found 25kg sacks of peanuts at Quinns of Naas (€38) that should last a few months. Does anyone know where to buy bird seed in bulk in the Kildare area?

Thanks

try gardenbirds they sell 20kgs for 20euro premium seed low in wheat and they deliver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

lancaster wrote: »
    lostinNaas wrote: »

Thanks

try gardenbirds they sell 20kgs for 20euro premium seed low in wheat and they deliver

Hi all,

I live in Dublin and pass Naas 2 or 3 times a week, can you tell me where Quinns are located or where "Gardenbirds" are.

BTW, I feed my birds all year through so it costs a few bob but worth it.

Thanks

V

Quinns is a farm supply business on the Ballymore Eustace road. About 1km outside town on the right hand side.

"gardenbirds" looks like a spam ad to me. Price not very good either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lancaster

I don't think its a spam, because i got some for the birds its a pime grade seed. iwas collected in monkstown. They were shipping large amounts that day. I thought it was a good price a lot cheaper that what i was paying.

Thanks LostinNaas, I'll call in on Friday on the way home and buy some if they have any left :)

V

I found Quinns of Naas today, got there early, thanks LostinNaas.

Got a 25Kg bag of "Small Bird Seed" for €19.25, a very good mix of all sorts of seed in it. It will keep me going for a while.

Thanks again. :)

V

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

V Bull wrote: »
    lancaster wrote: »

Hi all,

I live in Dublin and pass Naas 2 or 3 times a week, can you tell me where Quinns are located or where "Gardenbirds" are.

BTW, I feed my birds all year through so it costs a few bob but worth it.

Thanks

V

Hi V Bull, I live in Kildare and visit Dublin a few times per month. i get 25Kg sacks of Sunflower seeds from Breffni Pet shop in Dundrum for 26 Euro.
    K

Hi K,

Thanks, I'll have a look see tomorrow at Breffni's, it's only around the corner from where I live, down the country at the moment.

Cant buy too much because of the big "R", have to watch the pennies..........;)

V

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,571 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

any reason why birds would suddenly be showing less interest in a bird feeder? two weeks ago, they were emptying the feeder in a day - i filled it three days ago and it's still more than two thirds full. same brand of seed - the bill oddie stuff, but this is a new bag. doesn't seem to be an issue with more cats around, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Are you supposed to stop putting up feeders for a certain period during the year???

any reason why birds would suddenly be showing less interest in a bird feeder? two weeks ago, they were emptying the feeder in a day - i filled it three days ago and it's still more than two thirds full. same brand of seed - the bill oddie stuff, but this is a new bag. doesn't seem to be an issue with more cats around, either.
    Same thing happened here 4 or 5 days ago, it was like they all disappeared overnight. 2 and half days later they were back feeding as normal.
    I can only come to the conclusion that a glut of natural food ripened or hatched out, berries or aphids, etc. The weather was particularly humid at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 nautical star

bird societys use to advise not feeding wild birds during the summer months but apparently now they have revoced that and reccomend feeding them all year round.
    I have found www.ecopet.ie very good for buying wild bird seed.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

bird societys use to advise not feeding wild birds during the summer months but apparently now they have revoced that and reccomend feeding them all year round.
    I have found www.ecopet.ie very good for buying wild bird seed.

Would like to try this site for bird food but it looks very amatuerish with no info on who they are, where they are based etc. Certainly I would be very wary of using that site. Has anyone else used them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 nautical star

funny i thought the exact same but i can fault the service from them, 6 orders and counting, i gather its quite a new website and i guess amaturush looks = low prices
    a friend of mine has been buying dog food along with wild bird stuff and swears by the dog food for sure... is their location not on the contact us page or do they not have one?

Advertisement