Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valve and Tube Problem

Options
  • 27-10-2008 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

Evening all, I think I may have done something especially silly and im wondering if anybody can either confirm my assumptions or correct me!

Anyways I was inflating my back tyre to a decent pressure when all of a sudden i could hear all the air gushing out, at first I thought it was through the valve for some reason (its a presta valve by the way), so i quickly removed the pump and realised it was coming from the tube itself. It seems that i managed to pull out the valve from the tube. I didnt think this was possible, what can i do short of getting a new tube?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

I've torn a threaded presta valve clean from a tube before while trying to remove a track pump that I'd stupidly pushed on too far :o Does this sound like what you've done? If so, it's a new tube I'm afraid...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Tails

SetOverSet wrote: »
    I've torn a threaded presta valve clean from a tube before while trying to remove a track pump that I'd stupidly pushed on too far :o Does this sound like what you've done? If so, it's a new tube I'm afraid...

Goddamit, I knew I should have stayed with under inflated tyres! Thats for that Setoverset, it sounds exactly like what i've done :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Yeah, it happens. Be careful not to jiggle the valve about too much when pumping they tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭camroc76

yeah learned the hard way on this one, did it on rear wheel, replaced same...decide to top up front wheel...guess what happened

camroc76 wrote: »
    yeah learned the hard way on this one, did it on rear wheel, replaced same...decide to top up front wheel...guess what happened

ooo hard luck! At least when I learned from my mistake! :p Got a replacement from cycle surgery there in dundrum, alls well so far. But its not a regular tube its a "self repairing" tube, apparently it helps to prevent smaller size puntures. Anybody any experience with these?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

Morgan wrote: »
    Yeah, it happens. Be careful not to jiggle the valve about too much when pumping they tyre.

+1 -- Its painful - I did it in Wicklow about a month ago -- as if pumping your tire wasn't hard enough with a tiny pump. The key is aparently to hold the rim and valve with a claw type grip trying to reduce the 'wobble' when pumping. After doing it once I don't think your likely to do it again.

Oh, and there's no way to save your tube that would warrant saving €7 on a new tube.

So anyways continuing in my trend of silly things, after replacing the tube i cycle to and from work on wednesday and notice the brakes keep catching, but didnt take the time to fix it last night as I ended up going out. This morning I noticed that the tube wasnt fitted properly, there was slight bulge at the valve. So being in a rush think that if i deflate the tyre a little it might get me to work and ill sort it out there.
    In short, it didnt, the first minor pothole I managed to hit produced a rather disturbing pop from the back tyre.
    Now I have green goo from the self sealent all over my rim!

Advertisement