Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bent derailleur hanger

Options
  • 27-10-2008 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi guys, I had a nasty spill today (being an idiot anyway, sharp cornering in the wet) and part of the aftermath was a bent rear derailleur hanger. It's not that much bent, couple mm's at the bottom and a bit twisted but I've been reading online about repairing it and opinions are contradicting. Some say if it's an aluminium piece (which it is) just swap it out and don't try to bent it back, aluminium ones are not supposed to be bent back. Others say just bend it back, no harm done. So I'm basically asking if it would be a liability to bend it back straight until I source a replacement.

Sorry if this is too trivial or asked before, tried a search but couldn't get any helpful results.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

It depends on the severity of the bend. You could try bend it back, but you'll probably only get one shot at it as Aluminium doesn't like to be bent. You won't be able to wiggle it back and forward making fine adjustments as it will snap quite easily. In any case it'll most likely be weakened by the initial and subsequent re-bend so it'll only be a stop gap 'til you get a new hanger

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

Probably worth taking it off and examining it closely for any cracks in it. If it looks stressed or has a hairline in it I would wait for the replacement. I wouldn't ride as hard until a replacement is found.

Advertisement