Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Thig Ná Tit Orm aon duine?

Options
  • 27-10-2008 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭

Is Anyone studying it? Basically my Irish class read it in 4th year and I was away for part of it so I never got to read the part where Maidhc emigrates to Chicago. What important aspects do I need to focus on in the American part. I'm hoping to reread it over the week so what key things should I know and focus on about his childhood and life in London.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Racism. Racism in America. That's the big one.
    And the life of the Irish. Same for London, though racism to a lesser degree. Life of the emigrants - their dance halls, the alcoholism, etc. The differences in life in Ireland and abroad.
    For childhood, stuff like "life in the gaeltacht", their social things, economic situation, etc. And his relationship with his family, and other "characters" he meets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

My year (well we have been reduced to a single HL class oddly) are doing An Toraiocht, which is dull to say the least. Colaiste Iosagain get to do An Beal Bocht, which i would like to read properly, id prefer to read Peig FFS

Fad - you realise there's a graphic novel of An Toraíocht? If that's not cool, I don't know what it is. (I know you can certainly get it in Forbidden Planet, that's where I got my copy...)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

A Thig Ná Tit Orm, oh man the bad memories. You can just google summaries and stuff for it. I just learned off my irish honours LC, things any different now?

Fad - you realise there's a graphic novel of An Toraíocht? If that's not cool, I don't know what it is. (I know you can certainly get it in Forbidden Planet, that's where I got my copy...)

:eek: Im in town tomorrow, if i had money i would so buy one, soon i say.

How much?

[If only there was a Peig graphic novel, that would be fúckin epic!]

• Advertisement

Between 10 and 20 euro I'd guess... it's a while since I bought mine, and knowing graphic novels/Forbidden Planet it's pricey enough. But pictures! There's Irish graphic novels of other things too, An Táin, etc.

Tar - nah, everyone still learns everything off. It IS the Leaving Cert. : p

Between 10 and 20 euro I'd guess... it's a while since I bought mine, and knowing graphic novels/Forbidden Planet it's pricey enough. But pictures! There's Irish graphic novels of other things too, An Táin, etc.

Yeah i doubt i'll ever be a big customer, when they over charge me for things, then dont have X issue of something, i buy it elsewhere and decide to go back to FP to buy the next issue in the series, but they accuse me of stealing the copy of a comic they didnt even have to begin with. Dont get me started on the price of manga/anime (30€ for 3 episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion! fúck off, then again both of them or wildly over priced here)

Anyway thanks for the tip.

Advertisement