Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Germany...

Options
  • 27-10-2008 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just looking for some advice on Germany? Anyone lived over there and can recommend a good city to go for around 6-12 months for work/holiday and just new experiences? Is it easy to get jobs in most of the big cities? And by jobs I mean factory work/bar work that doesnt require too much qualifications. How is the cost of living over there? Is it worth taking a year out and travelling to or would you recommend somewhere else?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

As this more a living/working there on a long term basis, I'll move this to Abroad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

It's fairly easy to get a job over there in a bar, factory or during the summer picking fruit and in the winter working in hotels in ski resorts. But the cost of living is quite high, especially in the big cities. Most people speak some English, which is great if your German isn't too good!

As to where to go, it depends on what you want out of your stay... Frankfurt probably has the most neutral accent is your main reason is to perfect your German. Berlin is likely the most interesting, lots of stuff to do and a young city. Near the Swiss border has great hiking and nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,166 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Berlin is general quiet good for living: lots of variety, can get by on about 900 euro a month. Work situation is a bit unpredictable, but if you're looking for bar/restaraunt experience it shuoldbe doable. I'd advise learning some German, though - it will go along way.

The south is a bit more conservative and more expensive.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

OP: Go to toytowngermany.com where you will find a large english speaking community that live in Germany.

I am living in east germany and I can tell you that there are no english speaking jobs this side since most people this side of the country that haven't gone to university don't speak english (they were thought russian in school). Look at hamburg, munich, berlin, frankfurt. Munich is fairly expensive for living but you could live outside the city and that the s-bahn in. If you have any bar experience your best bet is the Irish bars.

http://www.toytowngermany.com/jobs/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Berlin is general quiet good for living: lots of variety, can get by on about 900 euro a month. Work situation is a bit unpredictable, but if you're looking for bar/restaraunt experience it shuoldbe doable. I'd advise learning some German, though - it will go along way.

The south is a bit more conservative and more expensive.

the problem is though, that most bar jobs will only take people on for a €400 'minijob', unless you could find someone who will pay you black, under the table. but living on 700-900 euro is definatly doable, especially somewhere like Berlin (one of the cheaper cities ive found)

• Advertisement
Advertisement