Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 USM IS versus Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Options
  • 27-10-2008 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering what peoples thoughts are on these 2 lenses. I'm currently using the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS as my general walkabout lens but I'm thinking of upgrading. Unfortunatly I'm not in a position at the moment to afford the EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 USM IS which is what I'd ideally love.
    My question is, the EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 USM IS is costing around €500-550, is it that much better than the 18-55 IS?

Any thoughts or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, feel free to post any pictures taken with either of these lenses.

Thank You.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i found it useless for night time shots etc, as 4 just doesnt do. Okay for day shots, not gonna have excellent Depth of field either, i did get some nice gig shots though, thats cause i used flash at the front. flickr , crystal castles section. Id save up bit more and get that 17-55 2.8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

My flat mate has the 17-55mm f2.8 and it is a lovely lense. Very well built.

The only drawback I can see is that its expensive and not full frame, so if you ever go full frame (and its getting cheaper to do so all the time) you cant use it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Placebo wrote: »
    id get this 135mm f2.8

As a walkaround lens?
    I think you're always better off with a zoom, because you never know what you'll find while you're out walking and there are plenty times where you need to go wide.

If you had the money, I'd even suggest the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
    It's an L lens, so you'd pay a bit more than the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM.
    That said, the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM is a nice little lens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

Placebo wrote: »

Thanks Placebo, but these were taken with the Canon EF 135mm f2L not the F2.8 and unfortunately the F2L version is over a grand in price (http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/91579/art/canon/ef-135mm-f-2l-usm.html) so I can't afford it at the moment. Although after looking at that gallery on Flickr I really want one now!!!

• Advertisement

thats just pixmania, its around 800 euros, so not too bad !
    and seems around the size of my 17-85.
    I was actually gonna sell mine but it got stolen

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I use the 24-70 L as my walkabout lens, and it is good. Also means I don't have to get rid of it if I ever go fullframe.

The 17-55 f/2.8 works out around the same length on a crop body, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

you should be able to pick up the 17-85 for under 300 euro - google it.

the sigma 17 70 is supposed to be even better, and cheaper (i asked this question a few weeks ago) - although it doesnt have IS.

Advertisement