Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Tyres

Options
  • 27-10-2008 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Can somebody recommend a good winter tyre for a road bike, a lot of tyres dont seem to have much grip on them.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Suggest Schwalbe Stelvio or Vittoria Rubinos from experience. Both have good grippiness and seem reasonably bomb proof (about a year puncture free on the Rubinos on my fixie commuter, though they are looking worn now and need replacing). Stelvios on my road bike seem just as good in the wet, contrary to my own expectations. Had my fist puncture on them yesterday after 850km.

A lot of people on this forum also use Gator Skins and Armadillos.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

I currently use gatorskins and can't fault them tbh. Certainly not as bomb-proof as armadillos, but defintely more supple and handle better, especially in the wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

i use gatorskins all year round on my bike. good grip in the wet, ive had the current set on for a year and no punctures so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Hi EMPM, I agree with unionman about the stelvios. Been using them for a good while now in all conditions and they've never let me down. I think there's a reinforced type too if you're really concerned about punctures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭ba

i use Michelin Lithions on my training bike. never had a problem with them. and you can get them in a range of colours, which is what i liked about 'em. so overall, good value and grippy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

EMPM wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Can somebody recommend a good winter tyre for a road bike, a lot of tyres dont seem to have much grip on them.

Thanks

by "grip" do you mean tread? Have a read of the stuff on Sheldon Brown's tyre page on the subject:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tyres.html#tread

Road bike tyres can't hydroplane and tread is purely for cosmetic purposes for on-road use

What tyres do you have? Chances are that they're just fine for winter use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

I use continental gp4000 all year round dont bother with a specific winter tyre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

ba wrote: »
    i use Michelin Lithions on my training bike. never had a problem with them. and you can get them in a range of colours, which is what i liked about 'em. so overall, good value and grippy.

me too. can't fault them - no problems at all summer or winter

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

stuf wrote: »
    by "grip" do you mean tread? Have a read of the stuff on Sheldon Brown's tyre page on the subject:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tyres.html#tread

Road bike tyres can't hydroplane and tread is purely for cosmetic purposes for on-road use

What tyres do you have? Chances are that they're just fine for winter use

I do mean tread, i have just read the article and it is interesting. I currently have gatorskins on my bike, but i have had 3 punctures in 6 weeks, im begining to think there is something wrong with my wheel. thanks for all the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

What pressure have you got in your tires? Did you check inside and outside the tyre for a bit of glass or something still inside it? Check none of your spokes are protruding through your rim tape? Is it in the same place on the tube always? New tube or repaired tube? Are you making sure you're not pinching the tube when reseating the tyre?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 connor dh

:) i use maxxis wet screams on my time vrsx road bike they handle viciously well on wet roads and on the bone shaker in 3rock you can not argue with sam hills results on the circut :pac: :eek: :D

Advertisement