Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Article on Cycle to Work scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

cgf wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/pricewatch/2008/1027/1224838871330.html

Not sure where you would get a decent bike and kit for 350 euro but I guess they are trying to get a message across.

plenty of bikes out their if you only want to do few miles to work and back and they said another 100 euro for kit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ziprodgers

You can get a decent bike and access to lights/lock/etc for cheaper prices through the Ecology Foundations cycle to work scheme as mentioned in the news article. It's a free programme for business to encourage cycling. If you want a bike through it and your organisation doesn't participate at the moment you could see if they'd like to take part?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Just to give one example, a Giant CRS 4.0 hybrid costs €320-330 new. There are several other entry-level hybrids in this price range that would be perfectly decent for commuting; I have a Dawes Discovery 201 myself as a hack bike and my Giant Bowery fixie which I do all my commuting on these days cost me €315 (albeit from the UK in a sale.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Good positive articles. But the selfish part of me doesn't want more cyclists in Dublin city centre. A few times this summer I found it hard to park my bike anywhere... Let's hope they plan for this by providing quality bike parks.

*edit: on the price thing, I would never leave a good (or good-looking) bike around town. There are plenty of < 350 euro bikes that do a fine job for commuting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

oobydooby wrote: »
    Good positive articles. But the selfish part of me doesn't want more cyclists in Dublin city centre. A few times this summer I found it hard to park my bike anywhere... Let's hope they plan for this by providing quality bike parks.

That's not the only infrastructure issue.

I'm currently looking for rented offices with showers, and they are rare as hens teeth. It's not easy for a small business, even one keen to help employees with cycling, if the infrastructure isn't there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

True, I had a similar problem in a job I've just finished. 25km commute with a cold shower. Rusty old pipes. Ended up driving many mornings. Then quit. A nearby gym is probably the best option if you can arrange some sort of preferential membership/discount for employees who cycle to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Lumen wrote: »
    That's not the only infrastructure issue.

I'm currently looking for rented offices with showers, and they are rare as hens teeth. It's not easy for a small business, even one keen to help employees with cycling, if the infrastructure isn't there.

next budget (or even sooner) they could give employers tax breaks on the costs associated with the installation of showers in offices/work premises.

after a while the sweat dies down anyway. i used to do about ~20km a day (each way), first month or so i was sweaty but then you get fitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

flickerx wrote: »
    after a while the sweat dies down anyway. i used to do about ~20km a day (each way), first month or so i was sweaty but then you get fitter.

You don't sweat after a 20km commute? You mustn't be trying hard enough! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

You don't sweat after a 20km commute? You mustn't be trying hard enough! :pac:

well, i wasnt trying that hard, it took me an hour.
    i could have done it in 45-50 mins, and arrived with a river pouring down my back, but instead the extra ten minutes allowed me to arrive crisp and fresh, with no need for a change of clothes, shower, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement