Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

registering with paddy power.com, too many details required? privacy issues etc

Options
  • 27-10-2008 6:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

Im not usually a gambler but I was going to register just now for one single novelty bet and they seem to want to know an awful lot, and Im only on Step 2! They want home number? Mobile number? wtf?

Has anyone registered with them recently and has your phone been bombarded with SMS sh!te from them? Anyone experience any sort of privacy issues with them?

Oh and I believe they're pretty tight with odds, what are the online alternatives for novelty bets? TV shows etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭aya14

Im not usually a gambler but I was going to register just now for one single novelty bet and they seem to want to know an awful lot, and Im only on Step 2! They want home number? Mobile number? wtf?

Has anyone registered with them recently and has your phone been bombarded with SMS sh!te from them? Anyone experience any sort of privacy issues with them?

Oh and I believe they're pretty tight with odds, what are the online alternatives for novelty bets? TV shows etc?

Thanks
    €20 free bet when u place your first €20 bet at www.ladbrokes.com. Probably require same amount of personal details however. they usually have a good variety of novelty bets also you can lodge and withdraw from your a/c in any ladbrokes shop. I think PP make you withdraw via cheque or credit card.
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

As long as you tick the right boxes you won't get any spam from them. I registered over 4 years ago and haven't got a single text or phonecall. I do get the occasional e-mail, but that's because I chose not to opt out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Lao Lao

Wreck wrote: »
    As long as you tick the right boxes you won't get any spam from them. I registered over 4 years ago and haven't got a single text or phonecall. I do get the occasional e-mail, but that's because I chose not to opt out of it.

+1 - never had a problem from PP with spam or un solicited calls/txts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

no problems here either. I'd suggest use your debit card when registering - it allows in-out transfers of funds straight away. I can't withdraw funds into CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

You can get free bets with nearly every firm, so make sure you shop around to get the best deal:

http://www.letsbet.ie/free_bets

I've never had any spam from PP, but I usually use Betfair anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

it's pretty standard practice for a bookmaker to require a fair amount of details. They have certain things they have to verify themselves in terms on a person being old enough and avoiding fraud. A lot of English bookies (William Hill, Extra Bet for example) required me to prove my age by sending in a scan of my passpoert/drivers licence. i felt like i was 17 and going into a pub again! There will be no real difference in the details you have to give with whoever you register with.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

no problems with PP, the only slight disadvantage to some people maybe is they dont let you take back winnings over the counter, but they do accept laser so you can withdraw straight into your bank account, no need for cheques or credit cards

i am with them about 4 years also and have never had any issue with them whatsoever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Just use a fake number mate, it aint like they ring you up to verify :confused: I rarely give my real number or address online... there's just no need usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Dave! wrote: »
    Just use a fake number mate, it aint like they ring you up to verify :confused: I rarely give my real number or address online... there's just no need usually.

Are you by any chance on crack Dave?

First off, Betfair rang me to confirm my details after I set up an account with them.

Say for example you give a fake address when you sign up to a bookie. You win a couple of hundred and want to take it out they account. All books automatically ask for proof of ID as a security measure these days.

By being unable to provide proof that you live at the fake address they would automatically presume that you are commiting fraud and are under no obligation to pay out.

huh........ disregard my previous post in that case :D

I wasn't asked for proof with either Paddy Power or Ladbrokes

Just checked now and I do in fact have the correct details on Paddy Power... to my knowledge it's never been verified though. How do they verify it?

Anywho, ye know more about it than me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I use PP .com quite a lot and I've never had a phonecall or text from them. Just tick the 'don't contact' boxes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

Id imagine you could put the novelty bet on i one of there shops ??

Huh, it says in my profile:

Please Note: The details above must exactly match the billing address of any credit/debit card used to deposit. We will verify the details provided to your card issuing bank.

I guess that's how they verify it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

Anyone experience any sort of privacy issues with them?

Yes :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bcom

yeah, i registered with them ages ago. have never got junk mail, texts etc from them.

Advertisement