Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loosing your Belt through inactivity? Yay or Nay?

Options
  • 27-10-2008 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

I trained in Kempo for many years (roughly 3) and absolutely loved it. In that time I progressed to a mid level belt. Looking back life had other things in store for me and regrettably I steadily had less and less time for my chosen art.

Now a few years later I have more time on my hands and am considering getting back into it again.

Would it be feasible to start again but keep my belt or would I have to start over or regrade.

Ideally Id like to go over the forms and continue from where I left off? If I had to start all over again I might be more inclined to study a different aspect of M.A like BJJ. The reason being I think it would be really monotonous to spend a few years going over some of basic technique that is engrained in me.

Thoughts and opinions please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭weemate

Personally you earned the grade at some stage so it's yours to keep...........however,I would maybe be sure you could perform the techniques to a good standard before letting you progress to the next grade.Depending on how long you were out,you may have got a bit rusty or the techniques may have altered slightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I agree with Weemate.

I don't believe you should lose a belt/grade either. Its something you've earned and should be yours to keep.

The only exception to this I can see if allowing a senior grade or black belt straight back into an instructing position as techniques etc may have changed, evolved and moved on from what the BB was instructing a few years previous. In this case a little refresher might be in order, but while still holding the grade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Loosing your Belt through inactivity? Yay or Nay?

Well, inactive people are generally more overweight than active people, so it is likely you would have to loosen your belt due to inactivity...

(Sorry)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I had a year out of TKD training after getting to black tag - in other words black belt was next. When I went back training, it was with the implicit understanding that I'd have to bring myself back up to black tag level before I could consider progressing more. However, there was never a mention of losing a belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

dudara wrote: »
    I had a year out of TKD training after getting to black tag - in other words black belt was next. When I went back training, it was with the implicit understanding that I'd have to bring myself back up to black tag level before I could consider progressing more. However, there was never a mention of losing a belt.

What's your point?

• Advertisement
Advertisement