Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Anton

Options
  • 26-10-2008 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭

So the boarding trip this year is looking like St. Anton!

Like to hear peoples experiences - what are the best runs, lifts to use etc etc.
    Hear its one of the best places for night life in Europe - where are the best spots to head for??
    Any nice places to eat out?? Any other info would be great.

Also, anyone ever driven there? What are the roads like? Think of driving from Munich!

Cheers people!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Never drove there but last year flew with Ryanair to Friedrichshafen and went by train to St. Anton. Train fare was only about €25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 DaveR321

I love Anton its one of the best resorts in Europe, the Night life is unreal starts on the mountain in the KRAZY KANGURUH or the MOOSERWIRT and goes all night in KANDAHAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Cheers Dave,

Will have to check out them spots!! Its nice to know the hot spots before you go so you're not spending half the week trying to find them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

There is an excellent road all the way to St ANton from both the East and West side as it lies on a major arterial route. You can drive there from Friedrichshafen in under 90 mins. There is a long tunnel at the end which is tolled but it saves you about 20 mins. Parking in the town or at your accomodation is generally free.
    The Krazy Kanguru is defo for the non Autrian/German crowd who all go the the Mooservirt. I personally like both equally and both are great fun. The Austrians certainly know how to APres Ski.
    There are loads of great bars and restaurants in the town. I personally like Bobo's which is a basement live music bar with good bar food. For TV sport head to Cuba, but be warned it is quite larger louty (i.e. lots of Brits). Scotty's is also good fun, can get pretty crazy later on in the night. There is a great Pizza place on the main street, think it is called Pomodoro, near Kandahar that is cheap and quick and it is perfectly acceptable to fall in there still in your skiing gear at 10pm for some nose bag.

Make sure you head to St Christoph for lunch at least one day. There is a superb restaurant there, on yuor right as you ski in, can't remeber the name. Most other mountain food places are average at best.
    All pistes on the Rendl side are good for Boarding and I think that is where the ride park is.
    On the other side my favourite run is the long one down to Stuben I think it is 17 called Valfagher. Lots of off piste option here too. Another safe place for powder when it snows is off to the left as you ski under the Zammermoosbahn, nice drop into the long valley.
    I'd also recommend heading over to Lech and Zurs for a day especially if there weather is poor. Lots of Nice tree lined runs and heated bum chair lifts. Note the abundance of Fur coats around town also, seems to be the uniform there for the idle ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Poster King,

Cheers for that post - very informative!! Living up to the auld nickname eh!!
    Think that sorts us out for the first day or two - which is great - we'll have found our feet by then!

Cant wait to get going now!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 crossor

Hi Guys,

Thinking of heading to St. Anton in February but package deals look a little expensive. Would anyone be able to advise me on a good website for accommodation in St Anton? Any suggestions on flights?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭I_luv_2_ski!

my auntie and uncal were in st anton last year and said it was very expensive...think its just an expensive place to go both for accom and food/drink over there!!! prob best getting on to hotels directly for the cheapest deal!!!

if you get in at the same time as a charter flight (Thomson or crystal etc) you can book a transfer with them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

Accomodation:
    http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/winter/unterkuenfte/accommodation-list.html

I've used this online sevice several times and it is brilliant. I think pretty much all accomodation in St Anton is listed here.

Ryanair fly into Memmingen which is les than 2 hours by car I think. Also lots of scheduled flights into Saltzburg and Zurich and you can get trians or coach transfers from both I think, check out the airport websites for more info.

St Anton is relatively expensive, but you should be able to get cheap accomodation and flights. Once you are there you won't find it any more expensive than Ireland/Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

St Anton is also on the train line

Also if you are looking to you a Tour Ops transfer just throw the rep a few quid and they will let you on;)

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

St Anton ROCKS!

First year I was there I didn't really like it. Was hanging around the village and the slopes can be steep and icy (steep for me at the time). Went back again last year and had a blast. Snow was great and there's loads of off piste.

Nightlife is just crazy. As mentioned above Krazy Kang. and Mooserwirst are right beside each other and kick off at about 4. By 8pm you get turfed out and have to board 1/2 km down the slopes in the dark Best craic ever.

I want to go back but will probably head else where in Austria for a change ...maybe ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭LeoD

The Mooserwirt is one of the best bars I've ever been in and that's not because the ladies started to whip off their tops at around 7pm! St. Anton is expensive but great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Best resort I've been too, going back this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭markhiggins

my favourite resort by a long shot! was there for new years two years ago and it was epic craic! the bars are brilliant, youve got good guidance from other posters on them! the off piste skiing is brilliant with plenty of little detours for those with the stomach for them! id advise you to get the ski pass that lets you go to all the surrounding valleys, we did alot of exploring and had a ball!! you will love it!! also a very young crowd around on nights out when i was there! lots of nice australian girls and the likes :D

Advertisement