Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Year Sociolgy Student reading the boards

Options
  • 26-10-2008 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi excuse me for interupting..A 1st year student and working on a project on UK/Irish relationship....Call me naive but i thought we were best of buddies but reading through these boards i get the feeling of real hatred. I know strong words. Never seen this in the UK. I know the history between our nations has had it moments but why today have we not moved on? Why so much bad feeling. How do we move on ? Can people move on ? I was hoping that I could just write about culural differences but seem i may have to re-write my essay plan. Please be nice!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

DR8309 wrote: »
    Hi excuse me for interupting..A 1st year student and working on a project on UK/Irish relationship....Call me naive but i thought we were best of buddies but reading through these boards i get the feeling of real hatred. I know strong words. Never seen this in the UK. I know the history between our nations has had it moments but why today have we not moved on? Why so much bad feeling. How do we move on ? Can people move on ? I was hoping that I could just write about culural differences but seem i may have to re-write my essay plan. Please be nice!!

Nobody takes it at all seriously, or we wouldn't be inviting each other over for sleep-overs all the time.

I did Sociology - covered the entire syllabus in about two days - then went home. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

DR8309 wrote: »

The famine
    Reneging on the treaty of Limerick
    Penal laws
    Oliver Cromwell
    Religious bigotry
    Murder
    Pillage
    Rape

And many more

Best of buddies???

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think that the fact that the trouble in the North is quite recent history, makes it difficult for some people not to get wound up by older history.

The Scottish were also badly treated, but I wouldn't say that there was any burning hatred there, because it has been a long time since the dirty was done, and there has been nothing to re-ignite the flames.

I'd also say that the only hatred of the British that I've seen in Ireland has been on these boards. I've never encountered it anywhere else here.

Advertisement