Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White internal doors?

Options
  • 26-10-2008 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am trying to decide what type of internal doors to choose?
    The oak doors with oak surrounds are way to expensive (but look great).
    I see in alot of magazines white architrave/skirting with oak doors and white doors with white architrave/skirting - My query is; when people choose to have white doors and white architrave what type of wood would they use for the doors - is it painted deal or painted pine or is it the hollow honeycomb doors??

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭cormthechippy

Hello there,

generally if people are going to paint doors white they'd opt for 'regency' doors. They're hollow and they're quite cheap, probably the cheapest door you'd get your hands on actually and can be bought in any builders providers. Here's a link to what they look like: http://www.dorasdist.com/htmlsite/products.asp?step=2&id=426&pstring=11,191,426

Please note that these are fire rated doors and in most cases fire doors aren't required in a bungalow or two storey house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Are going to hang the doors yourself? If not, make sure you consider this cost when you go comparing doors. The cost of hanging each door and fitting the furnishings is the same, so even though one door might seem, for example, less than half the price of another, by the time you account for the furnishings and getting them hung, it may not be as big a difference in proportion to the total cost. Do a full cost of each option before you make your mind up. If you really like the oak doors, then have you considered oak doors with painted white architrave and skirting (white deal)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭newname

Thanks for replies,

Yeah I am considering the oak doors with white architrave and skirting or all white doors and all white architrave. I have seen the hollow doors on a number of houses and the look good. My carpenter is recommending I go with the oak doors with white surround he says he is doing alot of them now. He advises against the hollow doors - although he didn't really give a reason for this.
    I was just wondering as there are alot of white doors in houses would most be the regancy doors or painted pine (for a more soild door).

No not hanging them myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Heatherview

Hi Newman

I have seen plain internal doors paint grade ½ hr fire doors used, good and heavy not to expensive with white architraves and skirtings

looked good
    Heatherview

Advertisement