Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subbing

Options
  • 26-10-2008 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hello, i was wondering if anyone could help me? I am currently trying to find a teaching position, but to no avail just yet!! Would anyone know where/who I could register with to do short term subbing?? Even if its just a day or two in different schools. Anything at all basically!

Thanks for your help,
    mise

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I really don't know what to say to you really, subbing will shortly be a thing of the past unless Weds changes anything so I'm short of any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭little me

thanks for the reply, but what happens when teachers ring in sick for a day or two, i was under the impression that then they would ring a company to send out a substitute to cover while they are off sick? This not happen anymore???? (Secondary school not primary).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

I doubt that the need for subs will dry up all that much; substitute cover will continue to be available for certified sick leave - the budget did away with cover for uncertified leave. For anything longer than three days, a teacher needs a cert anyway, and teachers often get certs even when out for only a day or two (and more will probably do so now - most teachers I know have to be half-dead before they'll stay out of school, so getting a cert is not a problem once you're prepared to visit the doctor).

Anyway, asti have a substitution panel that schools can contact when they need someone. Link here:
    http://www.asti.ie/ms_sub.htm

You could also contact the various schools in your area, and leave your details and a CV with them. They're usually more than happy to have a few names on file for when they're caught at short notice.

We've been told it'll all go in house to the teachers on part-time contracts. Therefore no subs needed from outside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

We've been told it'll all go in house to the teachers on part-time contracts. Therefore no subs needed from outside

Would it be fair to say then that the spokespeople we have heard in the media recently talking about the matter are quite wrong when they say that there will be chaos in the schools as a result of this?

If there are no subs needed from outside then it seems that the government is doing little more than making a very obvious saving by forcing schools to use teachers already employed and available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 oliviah

These teachers will still need to be paid for the extra work. So it really doesn't matter if the sub comes from inside or outside the school. If a teacher is out without a cert there'll still be no pay.

The ASTI position is that no teacher will do work that they are not paid for. Teachers on part-time contracts are contracted to teach the hours they are paid for; one could argue that the government is trying to make a saving by forcing schools to make their part-time teachers work for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭CraftySue

Education centres in most areas, usually have a list of subs looking for work, and schools will ring them looking for sub teachers.
    ASTI also have a list, of subs available for work.
    Also educationposts.ie, I think provides a service where you can put your name down if you are looking for work.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks very much guys for all your help!

mise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭nubineeprincess

go onto educationposts.ie
    then go into employee section and register for the textasub where they text you for days avail. in different schools.
    its brill:D

is the text a sub only for primary school on that website and not for secondary subbing??

• Advertisement

Oh no, we'll have much less subbing now. And what we do have will all go inhouse as many of our contracts are to be reduced anyway so that'll keep us ticking over. Hope that explains it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Surely there will be a certain amount of subbing still available..? Those who have certs etc?

I would have thought so but we've been told it'll be shared among those on shorter contracts. I'd say there'll be some in Primary though, unlike us they've a full day & can't fill up their classes off. I don't know though, like most teachers am hoping lots of this is hot air but will find out tomorrow at our meeting no doubt.

Advertisement