Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part Time or Distance Masters

Options
  • 26-10-2008 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi
    Can anyone shed some light on the available options for someone with a BSc in Manufacturing to do a part time or distance Masters.I have been looking at UL but I would like a few more to look at.Its not so much where I do it but what area I can do it in. Operations & Supply Chain was one particular area I looked at in Liverpool but don't know if it would suit.There's so much out there but choosing the right one is the issue.I need to be interested in the subject and not doing it just for the sake of getting a Masters so doing my homework is very important.Any info would be greatly apprecitated

Also, if you have anyone has an idea of the cost of a particular course could you stick that in aswell.

Thanks
    elless:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭JDLK

Smurfit offer a range of part time masters- check out their website, I think they are about 6,000 a year. They do a supply chain masters aswell.

Do you know what area of business you want to go into? Whats your current industry sector- or are you a recent grad?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 elless

Thanks for the tip I will check out Smurfit.I graduated a number of years ago, my area is in manufacturing so I want to stick within the confines of that sector but what options are available for me is the question:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭JDLK

Sorry, Im not too up on manufacturing just a guy I know is doing the supply chain course. Its a tough one maybe try the faculty of engineering on DCU, UCD, GMIT's and others websites. Ive heard of masters in manufacturing technology, manufacturing engineering etc one area I always found interesting was business process management which I think is closely tied to manufacturing
    The reason I asked about your background is because of the different industries manufacturing is present in, like pharma, electronics etc. and a masters in something about the industry itself might help you with a career in the manufacturing of it. Also If you want to move into management (or are in management and want to move to senior mgmt) and get an overall business view maybe an MBA?

Here's a DL course from OU in manufacturing
    http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?Q01F06

• Registered Users Posts: 39 elless

Great advice.Thanks very much.Management was an area I was looking into but as you said manufacturing pops up in a lot of areas of business and nailing it down into a Masters is the tricky part as there is so much available for that particular area.You seem to know your stuff also and the small paragraph you just wrote hit a lot of nails on the head for me.Again thanks for the advice and the link.

elless:D

Advertisement