Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cane creek ergo bar ends any good?

Options
  • 26-10-2008 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭

just wondering if it is ok to use bar ends on carbon handlebars?
    are cane creek ergos any use>?:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

My gut reaction is that I'd be very wary of it, not just because of the clamping pressure at the attachment points but also because of the additional torque across the whole bar.

I found this on the Bonthrone Bikes site:
    Which type of bar-end will fit my bike?

The external clamp design will generally fit all handle bars. But carbon or thinner walled aluminium handlebars are not compatible with bar ends as they are not strong enough to stand clamping and the added forces that a rider asserts when riding more agressively. Always check out the specifications and sizing on your handle bars if you want to fit bar ends and you should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭littleknown

well it looks like ive made a balls up, originally moved from a riser bar because i prefer the handling of a flat bar, bought carbon to try it out, after using it decided it would be good to have some change of position options such as offered by bar ends but now looks like i cant use them, which means going back to old riser bars or buying a new stem and buying new carbon riser bars as well, :(, pretty costly too,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

It depends on the specific carbon bars you have. Some have a reinforced section (often an alu sleeve) at the ends to allow bar end use. When using bar-ends it's important that the clamp is the correct shape - you can read more about that here: http://www.syntace.com/fileserver/syntace/FILES/syntace_carbon_lenker_mtb_engl_ver_04197.pdf (page 4)

the bars i have are these ones ( although i paid a good bit more in a local shop! )

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9674

which do have an alumminium sleve on each end,just had a look on the crc website link above and looks like they will be compatible which is a relief.

anyone recommend a good bar end. what about these?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com//Models.aspx?ModelID=20790

nobody use the cane creeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Its a bank-holiday most ppl / boardies aren't posting. Bump this thread mid-week and you'll get better number of responses ;).

...ah, good point. i dont live in ireland these days so didnt realise.nice one:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Mate of mine does, and she likes them just fine... they do a good job of tangling with other peoples bars :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Sounds like it's do-able but with care. The reason I'd be wary is obviously that a failure in a carbon bar would probably be sudden and potentially catastrophic.

I've found CRC pretty good at responding to specific queries sent by email, so that might be worth a shot.

Nice bars, by the way ;)

Advertisement