Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power assisted bike

Options
  • 25-10-2008 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi. I know there are previous threads about this but they are quite dated so thought I'd start afresh.
    I want to get an "electric" bike but I want it to be mainly for cycling and keeping fit only using motor when absolutely necessary as in parts of the uphill cycle from city to Tallaght. Seems any I have seen online assist cycling continuously which would make it too easy and not much benefit to fitness.

Does anyone have a good one (that looks like a normal bike)? Any advice on makes and the best place to buy one would be gratefully recieved!

Thanks!!:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

To be honest, you'll be fit enough to deal with any uphills on the route comfortably in a matter of weeks.

Is there some medical reason you need the electric assist?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

Sean_K wrote: »
    To be honest, you'll be fit enough to deal with any uphills on the route comfortably in a matter of weeks.

No not a all! I am a 55 year old woman though, but I am fit and train in the gym several times a week. I just want to find new ways to enjoy staying in shape. The cycle from town can be a struggle in parts and I spoke to someone at a party recently who solved this with an electric bike ( a 20 something btw)

Sean_K wrote: »

ps I have been told that a lightweight hybrid may better suit me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

A hybrid bike (perfect for around town) with a triple front gear (3 sizes of ring in the front) will allow you to climb any hill with Dublin city, albeit you'll be going a bit slower!

EDIT: Beat me to the punch!

72hundred wrote: »
    A hybrid bike (perfect for around town) with a triple front gear (3 sizes of ring in the front) will allow you to climb any hill with Dublin city, albeit you'll be going a bit slower!

EDIT: Beat me to the punch!

:D Thanks! I will have to research a hybrid then! I'm not very well up on the technicalities. Can you name some specific models I can have a look at?? Not TOO expensive, though should be a lot cheaper than electric assisted I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

mothel wrote: »
    :D Thanks! I will have to research a hybrid then! I'm not very well up on the technicalities. Can you name some specific models I can have a look at?? Not TOO expensive, though should be a lot cheaper than electric assisted I guess!

I've not got great knowledge on the hybrids but there should be some of the more knowledgeable boardies around shortly.

One thing is that buying from the internet can be a lot cheaper and if you know your size is definitely an option. (Sizes can be calculated from web formulas). Websites like www.chainreactioncycles.com are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055405801
    Have a look at that post.

P.s.
    Thats my mammy. :)

72hundred wrote: »
    I've not got great knowledge on the hybrids but there should be some of the more knowledgeable boardies around shortly.

One thing is that buying from the internet can be a lot cheaper and if you know your size is definitely an option. (Sizes can be calculated from web formulas). Websites like www.chainreactioncycles.com are very good.

Thanks a lot for the input, really appreciate it! Hopefully I'll get some more tips from the "more knowledgable boardies":)

See the son found my thread! Jeez, is there nowhere private???? :D

Advertisement