Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle Surgery, Dundrum

Options
  • 25-10-2008 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭

Assume the original thread was deleted for spam. Anyway, took a wander up there today. Decent selection of bikes, mostly Giant and Marin with some Wilier. Good selection of components too, with very little crap.

Didn't really get a chance to do much price comparison, because I'm not familiar with any of the bikes but what I did notice was

- Price of SKS chromoplastics compared well with the internet (GBP28.99 on wiggle vs. 39.99 in shop)
    - Proofide was cheaper than buying it from Brooks.
    - Good selection of Park Tools
    - Good selection of books including the Zinn books and the Park Tools book.
    - They were 20 euro cheaper than Cyclelogical for one of the Cateye lights.

I was impressed. Staff didn't seem overly pushy. Hope it does well. (No connection other than interested consumer)

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

A few of us were in there today on our way home from the Boards spin. Spent most of our time shooting the breeze with the staff, but I did make one crucial purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I was planning on knocking out for a look tomorrow or Monday.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,567 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

was in last week, was ok, it's closest decent shop to me so pretty happy. handy that is beside tesco for picking up bits and pieces when needed rather than making a special trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

was in there today....not a great selection of top end bikes, but for a average person its good for bikes and accessories

good selection of components, did note a couple of prices (polar HR, tacx turbo's etc) that are better on the web, but isn't most shops like that these days!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Thanks for posting the info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Is the entrance beside the TEsco petrol station or on the outside/lower level? I can't see how they'll manage to pay their high rents without charging considerably more than the average local bike shop. Prices in the newly opened Hamley's toy shop in Dundrum are about 20%-50% over Smyths toystore for identical items.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

besides the tesco petrol station.
    the lad who posted here last week said they'r price match any web price - but if you look on their uk website they're more expensive than wiggle/crc already at those prices, so dunno how they're going to manage to achieve that over here.
    i popped in last week too, a reasonable amount of stuff, but not a big choice of brands or models so far - presume it's initial stocking rather than a full stock and will improve with time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 john77

kenmc wrote: »
    not a big choice of brands or models so far - presume it's initial stocking rather than a full stock and will improve with time.

Had a gander in there today. Aside from the absence of Specialized bikes, they seem to stock more or less the same stuff as their 2 Spitalfields stores in London. Saw the new Campag Ergos in the flesh for the first time. Fitted to a couple of Wiliers. Think I'll put off investing in the new levers for the time being...hopefully they'll come up with a decent re-design for 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I was there as well on Saturday. Nice shop, however I still prefer to give my money to Joe Daly that's been there decades, rather than a UK chainstore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

I was in there today and asked about 2 Giants, a Defy1 for spins and CRS4 for commuting,when I asked about a deal for the 2 bikes, was told they could do 15-20% reduction, so was quite happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I was there as well on Saturday. Nice shop, however I still prefer to give my money to Joe Daly that's been there decades, rather than a UK chainstore.

I hear that!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Stick it to the man Caroline! The corporations are to blame!

I would also be reluctant to go away from Joe (for loyaty) or the internet (for cheapness). At least its closer than cyclesuperstore for me i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I haven't found Joe Daly to be any good. I'd be perfectly willing to use Cycle S...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I went into it yesterday. It's not that impressive, Cycle Superstore or Cycleways would be better. Mind you I didn't have a proper look at their prices but I'd imagine buying on-line would be cheaper anyway. I've never been in Joe Daly's so I can't make a comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I bought my 1st road bike at Joe Daly's and I have never been desapointed by them. They know their stuff, they know who you are and I much prefer being addressed to by my 1st name and a smile :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

they know who you are

...not always a good thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

...not always a good thing :)
    indeed :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I'll stick with buying most stuff off the Internet. For small bits, tools, tubes etc I'll probably still go to Joey D.

For any bike service that I can't do, I will be sticking with Joey D, I'd be pretty wary of bringing the bike into a chain store for servicing. Having said that, I'd imagine that there is room for both and good luck to Cycle Surgery. More bike shops and more people buying bikes is only good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Karma

checked out thier shop in london a few years ago, lovely stuff with a shop attitude to make everyone feel at home in cyclogical(must call in there :) )
    will check it out soon, i guess.
    I guess support your local bike shop, or chain reaction cycles(for keeping the rest honest)

I miss hardings, now there was the bike shop.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,567 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Karma wrote: »
    I miss hardings, now there was the bike shop.

that'd bring you back alright! was always worth a drop in when crossing o'connell bridge for a nose around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement