Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research Masters

Options
  • 25-10-2008 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

I know the area in which I want to do my research (Irish planning system), but I'm not sure about anything more specific than that at the moment. Hoping to start in early 2009 in UCD. I applied to do the M.Litt in Maynooth but they refused my application and told me to reapply next year.

All round they were very unhelpful. Since I'm kind of stuck between 2 colleges at the moment, who should I be talking to about research quesions, etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭COH

Potential supervisors. If you have an idea of who you would like to work under just call them, explain your interest and ask for a meeting to discuss your future application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dml

You really need to find someone who is familiar with this area to supervise you - not only the general area, but the specific direction that you want to pursue. Check their supervision record (no. of postgrads, publications, etc.) before committing yourself and make sure that they have actually done something themselves or supervised someone in the area that you want to pursue. Also try to get a feel for whether you want to work with the person...different people have different styles of working, and different approaches to punctuality, frequency of meeting up, etc. Also, have a research proposal (incl. topic and how you propose to investigate the work) sketched out before you meet with potential supervisors. This proposal may undergo radical changes with time, but it gives you a starting point, gives your potential supervisor an idea as to where you want to prioritise your work and also focusses your own mind on what exactly it is you want to do.
    I graduated with a research Masters in 1998 and have just graduated with a PhD. I have also supervised a few research Master's students. So, the above advice comes from problems I/my students have encountered along the way.
    Good luck with your studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 elless

Great advice dml nice to see honest and compassionate advice like that.Will bear it in mind myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dml

My MPhil went very nicely from start to finish. I did the PhD the hard way, where just about everything that could go wrong did, so I am speaking from experience! But, I got there in the end....having my little boy while I was writing up proved the final inspiration not to be beaten at it. For all those going through troubled waters in research, I can honestly say, it feels great once you eventually get there. Don't give up!

Advertisement