Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about getting tax back from the Open University

Options
  • 25-10-2008 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

I know a few members on this site have done courses with the Open University so I though this was the best place to ask. I have applied for tax back from the Open University. I was sent out a new tax certificate and it was listed on the tax credits. I was wondering does this mean I won't get the €1000 back in cash / cheque form?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Tax Credits are a credit against your tax - but try asking in the finance forums.

Mod mode: Just make sure what you're doing at all times is legal! Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dml

I did a few courses through City University, London, a few years ago. I rang the tax office and asked whether this was on their list of 'approved' overseas institutions for tax back purposes. I had to submit some paperwork (can't remember details, but not too complicated), and it was processed quickly enough. BUT, it really does depend on your circumstances. That year I had paid 1 400 sterling and received 29 euro back after my tax claim.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

As far as I've been told you can't get tax relief on postgraduate courses in Ireland.

You definitely could 3 years ago - for both courses in Ireland and UK - as long as they were on an approved list in the tax office. I have the tax certs to prove it!

But, I think it possibly only applies to part-time study, as I was working full-time and paying tax at the highest rate at the time as well..

• Advertisement
Advertisement