Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dan Breen

Options
  • 25-10-2008 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭

i am looking for information on Dan Breen and flying columns and would be greatful if anyone had anything they would like to share.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭baldieman

Have you read his book " My fight for Irish freedom" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

baldieman wrote: »
    Have you read his book " My fight for Irish freedom" ?
    " My fight for Irish freedom" was written by a ghost writer. I have read it and thought it quite good, though some have criticised it for been too daring do and self centered around Dan. I suppose they have a point, as Dan was literally a legend and super hero when he returned to Tipperary from America, ( thanks to the Free State govt. he like many other Republican heros couldn't find work, get unemployment money etc and had to go to America - where he ran a speakeasy for a while !!! ). He was carrried shoulder high from the train through the streets of Clonmel where thousands turned out to greet him and topping the poll to be elected a TD. The ghost writer, a national school teacher from Tipp if I remember rightly, been no exception.

Obviously " My fight for Irish freedom" is essential reading, but if you really are interested in getting good information on him, consider also " Dan Breen and the IRA " by Joe Ambrose, Mercier Press. Tries to give a warts and all version of him. It's not what we might call the sort of West Brit revisionism that we have come to expect, but a well researched, critical but fair insight to him. Most of his fighting expolits were no idle boast, he and Sean Tracey really were the driving force of the South Tipp brigade, and though he developed too much of a liking for drink and to a lesser extent horses in later life ( obviously he was a bit of a ' lad ', him and Collins would have got on quite well, at least for a Tipperary and a Cork man :) ).

I'd recommend reading " My fight for Irish freedom" and if you really want to go into more depth " Dan Breen and the IRA ", both books highly readable and enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Colm OK

All You Need To Know Here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Breen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭irishbran77

If you're interested in the Flying columns too, I'd recommend reading Tom Barry's work 'Guerrilla Days in Ireland'. It's a much drier and more technical work than Dan Breen's but it's essential reading for people interested in the time. Barry led a group of men in west Cork and scored some amazing victories against the Black and Tans and Auxiliares.

Also a good collection of photographs can be found at:

http://www.geocities.com/thirdcorkbrigade/photos.html

I'm thinking maybe when I'm 40 I should return and do a thesis on the man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 saffy27

I don't know if this helps, but in 1920 my Great-grandfather was murdered. He was accused of being an informer. This of course wasn't true and the real reasons for his murder I cannot discuss on this thread. But what I can tell you is that Dan Breen knew my Great-grandfather and his brothers, all of whom were staunch Sinn Fein men, and Dan Breen fought to have my Great-grandfathers name cleared. I have a letter written from Dan Breen to my Great-granuncle in which he states that the murder of my Great-grandfather was in order to cover up for others. I hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

he never moved on from the war and was still embittered decades later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emBbgo1DZTk

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Dr.Nightdub

Breen had the unique distinction of being nominated for both the pro- and anti-Treaty Sinn Fein panels in the 1922 general election, but wasn't elected.

Advertisement