Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Adult caution

Options
  • 25-10-2008 4:23am

Hi guys.Basically,I have been notified that I received a caution.As far as I rememer,it ill be for drunk and disorderly,I was asleep on the street.

They informed my parents before they informed me.Is this legal?I am 20.

Do I have to dress smart to the Garda station?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RudeGirl

Based on the information contained in your post, I can ascertain the following:
    A) you fell asleep on the street ("as far as you can remember"), therefore you are, beyond any shadow of a doubt, a complete moron incapable of behaving with even a modicum of decorum or intelligence
    B) the facts of point A) considered, the Gardai, in an unprecedented show of acumen and good judgement contacted your parents. They did this because they (correctly) assumed, upon discovery of your no doubt red bull and urine marinated sleeping body, that you are an imbecile incapble of looking after yourself.
    C)In relation to your question regarding suitable attire for visiting the station- they already know that you are moron. A shirt and tie will change neither their opinion nor the fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Hi guys.Basically,I have been notified that I received a caution.As far as I rememer,it ill be for drunk and disorderly,I was asleep on the street.

Do I have to dress smart to the Garda station?

nah dress as you want.just dont go in naked or that.... you just get a bit of a telling off, a slap on the wrist and off ya go.
    how did they inform your parents? letter?phone?call to your house?
    i dont know if it illegal or what, but nobody here hould be giving legal advice anyway.

how were you disorderly if you wer asleep!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

RudeGirl wrote: »
    A) you fell asleep on the street ("as far as you can remember"), therefore you are, beyond any shadow of a doubt, a complete moron incapable of behaving with even a modicum of decorum or intelligence
    B) the facts of point A) considered, the Gardai, in an unprecedented show of acumen and good judgement contacted your parents. They did this because they (correctly) assumed, upon discovery of your no doubt red bull and urine marinated sleeping body, that you are an imbecile incapble of looking after yourself.
    C)In relation to your question regarding suitable attire for visiting the station- they already know that you are moron. A shirt and tie will change neither their opinion nor the fact.

Infraction for Rudegirl. Attack the post not the poster.

TheNog

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

OP there was probably a little more to it than you just being asleep.

Were your parents told the day or days after it happened? or that day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Mammy wasn't impressed, was she?!

• Advertisement

TheNog wrote: »
    OP there was probably a little more to it than you just being asleep.

Were your parents told the day or days after it happened? or that day?

This happened three months ago and they rang them yesterday.I just was wondering is it legal for them to tell my parents the detail of it.Like I am over 18,don't live at home.Is there not confidentiality?

I accept that I was at fault.It was a foolish mistake.I made mistakes and I learn from them.I have only been out about 4 times since then.

The reason I think I had a panic attack in the nightclub and took some medication which should not be mixed with alcohol.But at that moment in time.I was pretty desperate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

This happened three months ago and they rang them yesterday.I just was wondering is it legal for them to tell my parents the detail of it.Like I am over 18,don't live at home.Is there not confidentiality?

Between you & The Gardai as far as I'm aware. It's nobody elses business.

The reason I think I had a panic attack in the nightclub and took some "medication" which should not be mixed with alcohol.But at that moment in time.I was pretty desperate.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Quick question...

If you were asleep, how could you be disorderly? :confused:

kleefarr wrote: »
    Quick question...

If you were asleep, how could you be disorderly? :confused:
    deadwood wrote: »
    A Garda can give evidence that a person is intoxicated, which might be as a result of other drugs as well as alcohol. No test other than observation are required. Smells, speech, walking (or lack of) etc. give the picture.

In drink driving cases, breath, blood or urine samples or failing those, the observations of a doctor, are required.

Being drunk is not an offence in itself but intoxication to such an extent that you may be a danger to yourself or others is.

There is no such offence as "drunk and disorderly" in Ireland but it has come into common use by the public.

There are separate public order {Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994} offences each for intoxication in a public place, disorderly conduct and threatening/abusive/insulting behaviour. Being intoxicated usually goes hand in hand with these offences but not always.
    I just pasted this from the legal discussion forum.

• Advertisement

It's difficult to comment on individual cases.

There was probably a good reason your parents were contacted. I'm guessing this is the address you gave on the night in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Possibly because they're listed as next of kin and you couldn't be contacted..? Just a guess.
    The reason I think I had a panic attack in the nightclub and took some medication which should not be mixed with alcohol.But at that moment in time.I was pretty desperate.

Are you Kerry Katona?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

Ordinarily the contact would be solely between yourself and the Gardai, and your parents would not be privvy to what went on. However, as stated, there may be circumstances that necessitated the police contacting your parents. Without first-hand knowledge of the investigation its difficult to comment with any degree of certainty.

Ah.That makes sense.I had my phone off on Friday as I was doing my Final Year project.

It was xanax that I took,not anything illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

It was xanax that I took,not anything illegal.

Anyone that drinks while using a prescribed medication such as Xanax is a very silly person.

As an aside, even when not using such medication alcohol is not a good idea for someone suffering from panic attacks and/or depression.

Anyone that drinks while using a prescribed medication such as Xanax is a very silly person.

As an aside, even when not using such medication alcohol is not a good idea for someone suffering from panic attacks and/or depression.

It was silly.I don't take xanax any more as it is quite habit forming.I only get panic attacks usually when I am doing exams.However I am trying a new strategy of actually studying before my exams and it seems to be working quite well.

Got my aution today.It was grand.I just won't be drinking as muh in future when I am out.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭pink star

Do you think there really is a need to be that rude to him? He just asked for advice. Your user name matches well with your comment

• Registered Users Posts: 33,238 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Are you Kerry Katona?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Gconlon1

When you have to meet with the superintendent after receiving the caution, do the gardai call you or send a letter?

I cant remember which address I gave them...

Gconlon1 wrote: »
    When you have to meet with the superintendent after receiving the caution, do the gardai call you or send a letter?

Usually it's a phone call.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Gconlon1 wrote: »

Surely you gave them the actual address you live in? As in the one you go and sleep in? Or possible your parental home if your in college / etc? Either way you should be capable of recieving post there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Thanks for the replies lads, but this necrothread was resurrected from over 2 years ago. Few things in life are more disturbing than a reanimated thread at 4am.

Thread closed..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement