Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insanely slow

Options
  • 25-10-2008 3:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

here can someone help me to go faster when cycling.....i have very well built upper thighs and a strong core yet I see fat people bypassing me.

i think a problem could be that my saddle is too low...would this effect my speed...also i have short legs so could this be a problem?

cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Saddle too low could be the problem. On the other hand, the fat people passing you could just be fitter than you.

Your saddle is at the right height if you leg is almost fully extended without locking out on the downstroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Trampas

equipment could be an issue also.

everything from tyres, pressure, gear ratio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

If it's downhill it makes sense that you are bypassed by fat people due to the gravity :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

What sort of bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I'm fat. A beautiful 16.5 stone in the shape of 6ft and I constantly pass skinnier people out, going up hill too. Unless I left breakfast too late, then I get stomach cramps and have to walk a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

here can someone help me to go faster when cycling.....i have very well built upper thighs and a strong core yet I see fat people bypassing me.

i think a problem could be that my saddle is too low...would this effect my speed...also i have short legs so could this be a problem?

cheers.

They're pedaling more efficiently.

Although I do believe in fast twitch nerves and slow twitch nerves. You could just have slow twitch nerves, a bit like the tortoise and the hare, your endurance might be better for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

cheers.
    Your knee should have a very slight bend when your foot is in the lower position on the pedal. Some say to remove your shoe and have your leg fully straight and just touching the pedal, this way with your shoe on you have a slight bend.

if you are on a mountain bike with suspension, and fat knobbly underpressure tyres then you will be a lot slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

cheers.

it ain't about legs, it's about lungs. or so they say... it's obviously not really that simple, but those "very well built upper thighs and a strong core" probably require quite a bit of the oul O2 and produce a lot of lactic. could it be lack of cardiovascular fitness that's limiting you?

as for saddle height i go with the method stephan roche recommends as a starting point. you should be able to touch the pedal with your heel with your leg totally straight - this should mean that when you have the ball of your foot on the pedal you have a slight bend in the knee. if you do that you won't be more than a few mm from the right height. also check your fore/aft saddle position - your knee joint should be directly over the pedal spindle when the cranks are at the quarter-to-three position.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

gzoladz wrote: »
    If it's downhill it makes sense that you are bypassed by fat people due to the gravity :)
    The law of gravity says different. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

@estebancambias: a few questions...
    what kind of bike are you on?
    how fit would you be?
    how long have you been riding?
    what is your max distance to date?
    what would your average speed be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Raam wrote: »
    @estebancambias: a few questions...
    what kind of bike are you on?
    how fit would you be?
    how long have you been riding?
    what is your max distance to date?
    what would your average speed be?

How long have you been riding -since you started cycling regularly?
    - that day?

Could it be that you have been cycling for 20 minutes and are getting tired, and you are being passed by people who have only left their houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Sorting saddle height, lube and so on might help, but, as has been mentioned, tyre pressure makes a massive difference.

That and fitness etc. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

How long have you been riding -since you started cycling regularly?
    - that day?

Since he started regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

get a race bike or a mate to towe ye in a car

Advertisement