Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelled Alone?

Options
  • 24-10-2008 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Wow, great to see so many of you over in OZ having the craic!!

I'm sitting here in FREEZING COLD, p!ssing rain Ireland and have been thinking for a while now that I want to put in a major trip.

I was origionally thinking of Canada, but after reading a lot in the Irish papers over here about people going to OZ, and looking at the forum here and the weather you guys are getting over there, plus the extended visa, I'm seriously now turning my attention to OZ.

My only question is, have many people travelled on their own? I missed out on a major trip last year to South America / Tailand / OZ and have been regretting it ever since, and I know for a fact that nobody here can either afford to go or has the desire right now to travel due to work, girlfriends etc., so it is certain that wherever I go, it will have to be on my lonesome as I can't wait it out here any longer. I've already made serious dents into any borrowings and will be debt free by the new year with a car to sell.

I don't really care though, I'm 25 and it will be the experience of a life time. But I'm just wondering has anybody else gone over to Oz alone? Where did you go and how did you find it? Is it difficult to settle / meet people in a city where you start from scratch?

It's the only drawback or thing that makes me slightly aprehensive is that I would know NO ONE! My cousin is in Oz at the moment, but will be back by the time I get over (as early as possible next year). It's scary, but I don't want the fear to stop me doing this!

Cheers for any advice anyway. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 partymarty1987

Alrite Mate,

I'm in the same situation as you but im going for it :) I'm from newcastle, england and Just coaching football in america at the minute and my visa is up so i applied online for a New Zealand working holiday visa. Fingers crossed i get it. My plan is to get a job and accomadation lined up before i go and just meet people there. Im 20 years old, and im thinking it shouldnt be hard to meet other travellers in our position. It will be lonely to start but...

I cant wait to go though, it will be amazing.

So where you planning on going in OZ? i get the butterflies just thinking about doing it mate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I came out alone on a 1yr WHV now I live here as a resident and have met some of the coolest people in the world, AAAAANYWAY you wount be alone as long as you can connect to this board, I can guarantee you that whatever large Australian city you land in someone will be up for a night out on the Piss and will be just as 'alone' as you.

the only thing you have to ask is

Whens the next Fligt Mate?:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Drawing Dead

i was the same, worried and aprehensive but just had to go too. don't be though, it rocks out with its c0ck out!
    you'll meet people in hostels and if french and germans aren't your thing move into a house (as i'm sure you'll stay in one city for a while) then you've always got your house mates.
    and if all else fails just go down to bondi and follow around the sunburnt people with the irish accents.

seriously though its class, loads of people travel alone and as long as you're open minded to other people you'll get on just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Sidney77

doing it alone next year

Canada is awesome by the way, but you have til 35 to get the Visa

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

you'll stay in hostels and meet people easily. It seems most of the people in hostels here are Irish anyway, especially in the big cities. Travelling alone is way better I think, you dont have to worry about anyone else and you can do what you want whenever. Plus you'll make more friends.

• Advertisement
Advertisement