Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could I make it to Sally Gap

Options
  • 24-10-2008 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭

I did a circular loop from Annamoe and back today which included this gruelling climb.
    I doesnt look much on the map but if any of you know the road, its pretty steep! I was close to heart attack at one point!
    Thats the toughest climb I've done to date and have the sore legs and arse to show for it now.

Living in Annamoe I'm pretty familiar with the roads up to Wicklow Gap and Sally gap but haven't cycled them before.
    I think they probably are not as step as the road i linked to above so should be doable hopefully.

I'm thinking of cycling down to Eniskerry then up by Glencree over Sally Gap and then down back home via Roundwood to Annamoe.
    I really dont want to blow up around Glencree and have to limp home, which is a worry!

Any comments on tackling Eniskerry -Glencree- Sally Gap?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Supercell wrote: »
    Any comments on tackling Eniskerry -Glencree- Sally Gap?

You'll be fine. If you can go up the Old Long Hill Road, you'll manage this one. There's only one comparable section and it comes after Glencree. Roughly around the length and difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks, el tonto, I really suffered today so I think I'll try the same route a few times before tackling Sally Gap, i'm hugely relieved that you reckon thats about as steep as it gets on the way up to Sally Gap!
    The Wicklow 200 seemed a looooooooooong way away to me today halfway up that climb!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

The 1st time I went up Sally Gap, and that was just this spring, I thought I was going to die ... and I did ... about 3 times. But when I went back after that, I only twice, then once ... and now I survive Sallygap and I also survive all the other Wicklow climbs and I even survived the Alpes. If I managed ... anyone can. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks Caroline, thats exactly what i want to hear!!
    I really was fecked on the way up but right now I'm pretty chuffed that I did it!
    Obviously I'd like to breeze up it like Lance Armstrong would :D
    I reckon a few more tough rides are due before i can tackle the Gap, but that day will come!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Others were saying to me 'Pace yourself' and and the only I wanted to say to them was 'feck off, I am just too crap, I'll never go up a hill' ... well I actually have to admit that ... I do a lot of pacing myself now .. IT DOES WORK!!!! ... Pace yourself !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I went up Sally Gap via Glencree for 1st ime in late July (thanks to Blorg).
    Died many times. Now I can do it without dying (but slowly nonetheless).
    Old Long Hill is a beautiful cycle, and is very tough (for me). If you can do it, you can easily do Sally Via Glencree.

However, if you are doing Old Long Hill and want to do Sally Gap then try Old Long Hill, Djouce, Lough Tay and Sally Gap. Very tough, but stuning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

first off, you live in a cracking spot for training rides.
    was out for a run earlier this morning and the wind direction is (same as last weekend) coming from the south west so anyone heading up and over the sally gap today best hold on when you go around that final corner.

The old long road is pretty steep and a bit of a slog. If you can get yourself up there then the run down to enniskerry and up to glencree via the entrance to powerscourt waterfall should be fine for you - Id avoid kilgarron(?) hill which is the other way up to glencree from enniskerry. Take it very handy on the way up to glencree on this road.

Theres already loads of advice regarding pacing yourself so I wont repeat. If you've driven the route you'll know that once you get over the sally gap its relatively a flat or downhill finish back to annamoe from there if you're hanging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 connor dh

speaking of circular loops i'm feeling quite sore this morning :pac:

oh and regarding the cycle dont bother you dont deserve to cycle .:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

By the sounds of it you would be fine for the Sally Gap. I don't know how it works, but going with a group might make it a lot easier. Why not try a spin up as far as Glencree and loop back and see how that feels? I worked my way up to the Gap by starting with loops around Johnny Foxes, then adding Cruach, then Glencree, etc. There's always scope to make the spin a bit longer each week. Oh, and make sure you've decent windproofs on!

Advertisement