Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Meltdown Monday on the way?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

mike65 wrote: »
    If Friday sets the tone for the start of the week, then it could be carnage.

http://finance.yahoo.com/intlindices?e=americas
    http://finance.yahoo.com/intlindices?e=asia
    http://finance.yahoo.com/intlindices?e=europe

Russia has suspended the markets again.

Mike

"It's just another melt down Monday....

Wish it was Sunday....

That's my fun day...

......................"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Whatever happens on Monday, I would give it a 90% chance that the stockmarket wll be higher & the dollar lower by this time next week, almost every market is at extreme technical levels which is screaming reversal

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Lexus1976

Thankfully its a Bank Holiday Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Lexus1976 wrote: »
    Thankfully its a Bank Holiday Monday
    It's a holiday in Ireland, not the U.K. or the U.S. It's business carnage as usual in NY and London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

Interestingly, Nouriel Roubini, who has had a brilliant track record in predicting events so far, feels that major markets worldwide will have to be shut down soon for a week or two by governments to allow investors to dump assets.

A couple of months ago I would have dismissed talk like this as alarmist rubbish, but that was before the whole world financial system disappeared down the rabbit hole ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

BenjAii wrote: »
    Interestingly, Nouriel Roubini, who has had a brilliant track record in predicting events so far, feels that major markets worldwide will have to be shut down soon for a week or two by governments to allow investors to dump assets.

A couple of months ago I would have dismissed talk like this as alarmist rubbish, but that was before the whole world financial system disappeared down the rabbit hole ...

This talk of closing markets and all that reminds me once of a friend who ended up being badly constipated to the point where he ended up in hospital.

Leave the markets open, suffer the pain, let the sh*t find the floor and tomorrow you are on your way back up again...

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭md23040

What a stupid thread. Markets either go up or down - no sticking.

FTSE futures to finish -38 pts according to IG index. No calamity

Japan -2% to close. Oil shares set to tank -5% tomorrow. [WTI Oil Spot $63 at 21.26GMT]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

md23040 wrote: »
    What a stupid thread.

The first word in this thread is "If"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭SoCal90046

I believe that, in the US, they should have been shut down for two or three days three weeks ago. I think it's too late now as the rot has set in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

mike65 wrote: »
    Any chance of a bear rally with stocks including ire banks looks bleak.:confused:

The mainstream media are in general reporting this as "investors dump stocks on recession fears", I wonder how true ?

and how much "Hedge funds liquidate themselves as investors/funding banks pull plugs" is true ?

The mainstream media are in general reporting this as "investors dump stocks on recession fears", I wonder how true ?

and how much "Hedge funds liquidate themselves as investors/funding banks pull plugs" is true ?

I would pretty much ignore media reporting on why something is happening, if the price goes up they give a reason, if it goes down later in the same day you get different reasons.
    On some markets I was looking at there were certain funds that were selling due to redemptions or being told to get their leverage down, but the nub of it is that you sell what you can and the stock market it very liquid, firms may have other positions which they cannot get out of.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

So the Dow Jones up 900, second biggest climb in its history, I have two words; "bear rally" - just saying ........

So the Dow Jones up 900, second biggest climb in its history, I have two words; "bear rally" - just saying ........

agree, 10% up days are very common in bear rallies , there maybe a retest of the lows this month and then there should be a rally for a couple of months but all part of a bigger bear market

Advertisement