Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First shot of winter this Halloween.

Options
  • 24-10-2008 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like the first taste of winter will be coming our way next week.

There will be a dramatic change in temperature during Monday with maxima just around 7-9c.

Tuesday will be a cold day with brisk northerly winds and wintry showers, temperatures of between 6-8c countrywide with the coldest temps in the north.
    There will be a hard frost on Tuesday night with temps down to -4c and snow showers in the northwest.

Wednesday will be bitterly cold, maxima of just 2-5c and wintry showers countrywide. Another bitter night will follow.

Looks like Scotland could see some decent snow during this event.

It should get the forum moving anyway!

MT8_Dublin_ens.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,324 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Now I know winter's on the way when WC returns!, welcome back :)
    Its certainly an exciting week on the cards for sure.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

It should get the forum moving anyway!
    Well its got you moving ;)
    Hope you enjoyed your long slumber :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Mothman wrote: »
    Well its got you moving ;)
    Hope you enjoyed your long slumber :P

I've been around! Just not posting much!

This looks interesting, will be nice to see a hard frost and ice again ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

damn i get to miss all the action coz i'll be in north-east Germany next week!

any chance of snow in Germany next week??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Lets hope for some winds east of north for us here on the east coast - sea temps. just past there warmest now - could be interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

The 12z GFS has some sort of upper low moving down the Irish Sea on Tuesday evening and the early hours of Wednesday. Expect heavy thundery hail, sleet and snow showers along Irish sea coasts for a time if that came off. :D
    Of course it will chop and change in the meantime. :confused::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm spending next week in bed.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭arctictree

Yes, Tuesday night looks exciting from the latest GFS. That's still t+108 so it will change before then. Would be the right time of the year though to get North easterlies over a warm sea. It happened before and we know what happened then!

A

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

mike65 wrote: »
    I'm spending next week in bed.

Mike
    Now this is how i know winter is on the way. I'm sure it be just a short cold snap Mike and we be back to warmth soon. Not! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

I've been around! Just not posting much!

This looks interesting, will be nice to see a hard frost and ice again ;)

Guess you don't like rain, floods, thunder, lightening, new records etc. from our great summer. Let's hope for some records this winter of the cold kind, its great to see you back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,324 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Heres a fun chart :-

uksnowrisk.png

The potential is there :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

On a UK forum they were talking about a low on wednesday that looked like it was parked over us. Would this deliver any wintry precip for us? Meteireann don't seem to thik so.

rc28 wrote: »
    On a UK forum they were talking about a low on wednesday that looked like it was parked over us. Would this deliver any wintry precip for us? Meteireann don't seem to thik so.
    Transitory above 2500 ft asl probably..
    Nothing for the plebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

I feel the NE'ly that follows wednesday's low could throw a few interesting showers onto E and SE coasts. By 'interesting' I mean a mix of hail and sleety rain with a few rumbles of thunder here and there perhaps. It looks like the air will be fairly unstable for Thursday and much of Friday; and the Irish Sea is plenty warm enough to help liven things up a bit. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭arctictree

The latest GFS for Thursday is a cracker (and not in FI!):

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn721.png

If only this was a few weeks later, we could have a major event. Nevertheless, our mountaintops should have whiteout conditions if anyone is going on a snow hunt!!

A

Chart is good for October but be much better in Winter.
    Seems to be a nowcast event but 12Z 850mb temps have it very marginal for snow on the mountains. Snow if it where to occur be over 700meters on Thursday. Cold rain below that and maybe sleet on populated mountainous areas.
    Risk more like the higher ground for the midwest after the LP moves off and drags back down cooler air.

Could all change again but looks dyer for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭squonk

I'd be very happy with some decent hail and a few rumbles of thunder. It's great though that it's just like someone flicked a switch from Autumn to Winter over the weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Spell of precip heading south over the next few hours could give a few places abit of wintryness.

Rain, Sleet and definately some snow possible too.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

That trough has the arctic air behind it and it seems to be more active. Showers have merged. Should make it south but not as intense as up in NI.

Edit: Must add. Temp is 6.8C with a Dp of 4C
    So if the precip makes it to Dublin, it will start off as rain followed by sleet as the temps drop away. Snow is possible mixed in.
    Temps will plummet away when precip clears.

Advertisement