Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eyes in the back of your head

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

How about sticking mirrors on bikes? The amount of times I've had 1 cyclist over take another with out checking behind them is nuts, they just swerve out into traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

Had he actually looked before crossing the intersection, his fancy new 500$ shades would still be intact today. Oh the humanity!

Bit of a gimmik to be honest. The skills to be aware of what's around you would be cheaper to acquire and stand you in better stead imo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

6th wrote: »
    How about sticking mirrors on bikes? The amount of times I've had 1 cyclist over take another with out checking behind them is nuts, they just swerve out into traffic?

OOoooooohhh Someone is bored and is looking for a argument?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

The amount of times I've had 1 cyclist over take another with out checking behind them is nuts, they just swerve out into traffic?
    What are you asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can get these, but they interfere with the aerodynamics of the bike and are just another thing you'd have to unclip and carry with you if you locked your bike in public.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

There's a far more cost effective way to deal with this problem. Look over your shoulder. It isn't that hard.

I agree with Tonto, look over over your shoulder is more effective, as least you have the dimentions right. I wouldn't want to get run over by that far away tiny little truck you can see on the Nike shades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

el tonto wrote: »
    There's a far more cost effective way to deal with this problem. Look over your shoulder. It isn't that hard.

That's precisely the type of libertarian ethos that has the global economy in such turmoil.

Looking over your shoulder shouldn't be attempted without months of certified training. Preferably in a nice hotel with half day wednesdays, travel & subsistence, and a mini bar.

Then, AND ONLY THEN, should looking over the shoulder be attempted.

Then again, that's just what I'd expect from a member of the global mainstream media elite, with their incessant fact-checking and 'gotcha' questions....

Yes, it is a quiet afternoon and I'm feeling a bit giddy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Yes, it is a quiet afternoon and I'm feeling a bit giddy:D[/QUOTE]

And thats exactly the reason I posted this linky ;) Friday afternoon of a bank holiday and .... and ... its not raining ... yet

interested wrote: »
    Yes, it is a quiet afternoon and I'm feeling a bit giddy
    Me too ... can we have that thing in Dublin ? For going up Sally Gap only ... I dont mind the other hills

2233478-bicycle-car-park-with-conveyor-belt--THATS-WHAT-IM-TALKIN-ABOUT--YEH-0.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

How about sticking mirrors on bikes? quote]

Yep agree , have a mirror fitted to my bike , wouldn't leave home without it , mightn't look too cool but I consider it an essential , quick glance (in combination with I hasten to add ,a sideways glance to the "blind spot" ) does no harm .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

my contribution to the hey-it's-friday-and-how-bout-we-discuss-the-merits-of-the-latest-cycling-related-gimmick-product thread is this. sure, there are locks out there that would give your bike significantly better protection from thieves - but this lock takes a different tack: accept the inevitable and try to ruin anto's nike air max as a token revenge. genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

niceonetom wrote: »
    my contribution to the hey-it's-friday-and-how-bout-we-discuss-the-merits-of-the-latest-cycling-related-gimmick-product thread is this. sure, there are locks out there that would give your bike significantly better protection from thieves - but this lock takes a different tack: accept the inevitable and try to ruin anto's nike air max as a token revenge. genius.

I particularly like the misanthropic subtext behind the design of the lock.

Cool. People suck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

Me too ... can we have that thing in Dublin ? For going up Sally Gap only ... I dont mind the other hills

2233478-bicycle-car-park-with-conveyor-belt--THATS-WHAT-IM-TALKIN-ABOUT--YEH-0.jpg

Looks like a cool thing for fixie riders to up.

Looks like a cool things for fixie riders to up.

OOOhhhhh!! :eek: take that back right away!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

el tonto wrote: »

But its not as cool -- Surely fixie riders he agree that being cool it really ehat its all about. How great is I could just float through traffic without looking like I am looking but actually looking.... its just a style thing. Fortunately Nike know this so will put a suitable high price on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

I have rear view glasses and use them on the bike. They are handy, but you have to get very used to them -just walking around before going on a bike. You have to sort of focus your eye to either look at the mirror or through it. Sometimes things can come from behind that are shiny or somehow unusual and you can get a shock if not used to the glasses, i.e. it can seem like it is coming towards you. You can't beat looking over your shoulder though. I usually use them on particular roads as they work better under some conditions than others, usually I am just swerving a little to miss a pothole so look behind to double check there is no car. Also handy on cycletracks when avoiding something, to be sure nobody is on your tail about to overtake.

Mine were around €15 delivered new on ebay, look like regular sun glasses except the glass is completely flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭stabu

This is pathetic, who wants to see more around?

I want to see more inside: personally I won't be changing my x-ray specs for these yokes any time soon.

Advertisement