Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Specials - 76mm Telescope

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

I was just going to post the same question...any astronomists out there or telescope experts who can tell us if this product is worth the 99 euros?

many thanks, mica

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

There's lots of stuff online regarding Lidl scopes that seem very similar.
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&q=aldi+OR+lidl+telescope&btnG=Search&meta=
    The general consensus is thats its good value.
    I might get one and stick my SLR onto it for some moon shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭0utpost31

i would buy it but i haven't seen a clear sky since i was about 5. Nothing but clouds nowadays.

0utpost31 wrote: »
    i would buy it but i haven't seen a clear sky since i was about 5. Nothing but clouds nowadays.

Of course you are right there! I lived in Germany for awhile and we had a lovely terrace above a garage so was quite big. There were lovely clear skies there but no telescope... Mind you we do get a few clear nights out here in Skerries but am a bit worried if I bring it out to the garden the neighbours will think I'm looking at more than stars... :eek:

But yes the lack of clear skies here is a consideration.

I picked up one today, its not bad for the price. Just looking for a t-ring and adapter for my 350D now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭0utpost31

It says it comes with an equatorial mount... is that an electronic gizmo to help track the stars? Or is it manual?

Manual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

0utpost31 wrote: »
    It says it comes with an equatorial mount... is that an electronic gizmo to help track the stars? Or is it manual?

It's manual. There are two main types of mounts - equatorial and Alt-az.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equatorial_mount
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altazimuth_mount

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Frank Ryan Jr

I've been into astronomy for years.
    This is actually my first post on these boards, I see these questions pop up
    every time one of these stores run offers on scopes.

The only advice I can personally offer is buyer beware.
    Some of these beginner scopes are excellent but others will put you off
    astronomy for life, so be careful.

If you are thinking about buying a scope and are a total beginner then there
    are a few things to know.
    Firstly, with a 3'' scope like that advertised you are not going to see
    what is pictured on the box!
    It will big good for craters on the moon and possibly Jupiter (but Jupiter is
    quite low down in the sky lately), Venus and Saturn.

Also you'd want to have a fair grasp on how to set up an equitorial mount
    or else it will drive you nuts trying to track.

Last but not least you'll want to be working with a star atlas and basically
    have an idea of what you want to observe.

Best advice I can give any beginner is to firstly contact your local
    astronomy club, they will offer you the best advice, and second - invest in a pair of binoculars.
    Lidil often run an offer on Bressier 10x50 Binos and take it from me
    for the 20 Euro they are worth every penny!
    These are simply excellent and for the price, I'd buy 2.
    One for home and one for the car.

There is already great advice on this site with regards beginners scopes.

There is a plethora of advice on the IFAS website
    http://www.irishastronomy.org/cms/

Or if you are in the Limerick / Clare / Tipperary area then you can ask further questions here
    http://www.shannonsideastronomyclub.com/

Hope this helps you decide.
    Frank

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

HighWire wrote: »
    Anyone any idea if these are ok?
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2867_7309.htm
    €99
    Mirror diameter: 76mm
    31.7mm oculars (20mm, 12mm, 9mm)
    Focal length: 700mm

Given its limited aperture and supplied lenses i would say no

with its limited aperture your realistically looking at magnifications not more than 140x / 150x in the best of seeing conditions

the supplied lenses give the resulting magnifications

20mm = 35x
    12mm = 58x
    9mm = 77x

Which seem well within its range until you'll have to use the supplied 3x barlow to increase magnification which then yields

20mm w/ barlow = 105x (The only usable mag with the barlow) even at that it may be close to its practical limit in average conditions
    12mm w/ barlow = 174x (far exceeds its theoretical limit)
    9mm w/ barlow = 231x (far exceeds its theoretical limit)

I marked the above in red as the telescope will be overpowered in that configuration, it will be impossible to focus an image at those stated mags. Another thing of note is the controls dont look all that appealing nor does the mount look very sturdy!

If you want a scope for bird watching and observing the moon then this may be the scope for you, i would say this is not a scope suitable for astronomy especially considering what you can get for a little bit more money

Astronomy ireland sell far more appealing scopes for the money for example the Celestron Astromancer 114EQ (4.5 Inch Aperture) for €134 and the Celestron Astromancer 130EQ (5.1 Inch Aperture) for €161

http://astronomy.ie/astromasterseries.html

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I was sorely tempted to get it but now think I will resist and take the advice here. I have joined a society now and will take it from there.

Thanks again, wonderful long informative posts there and many useful links for more. Fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

slade_x wrote: »

the supplied lenses give the resulting magnifications

20mm = 35x
    12mm = 58x
    9mm = 77x

You don't have to use the Barlow..bin it.

The above magnifications are quite ok for that scope.

I got an astonishingly good 60mm Optus Zoom binoculars in Aldi last year for just €18.

(Far better than an appalling 10 X 50 binocs. I got from Astronomy Ireland for €110 the previous year....shakey eyepieces.)

Try the scope.

Aldi will take it back with no questions asked if you don't like it.

I'm currently modifying mine to mount my SLR onto it. Wouldn't do that with a "proper" scope!

Of course I could have bought a proper scope to begin with but this is far more fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

Lidil often run an offer on Bressier 10x50 Binos and take it from me for the 20 Euro they are worth every penny!

Bresser have good optics but one note of caution.

Do not drop them or knock them about too much.

You get what you pay for...mechanically.
    They are NOT built to "Military Spec." the holy grail of mechanical ruggedness.

(You get German Mil-Spec in Zeiss binoculars but they cost €1000+ for 10x50s.)

Frank is right though.For €20 you can't really go wrong with Bresser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

slade_x wrote: »
    If you want a scope for bird watching and observing the moon then this may be the scope for you, i would say this is not a scope suitable for astronomy especially considering what you can get for a little bit more money

Can I just ask, would you know if as you said one wants to use it for bird watching, is this actually possible with this setup? My dad bought it for my mum who has MS and needs something on a stand, but we cant set it up. Needless to say we know nothing about one, but only want it to do bird watching as they live on the coast.

Would you kindly advise us what we should do, as soon as you could, as he is thinking of getting rid of it, as we were under the impression by a camera shop who sells them, that its only suitable for night time ie star gazing:D
    Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

With an equatorial mount it wouldn't really be suitable for bird-watching - particularly with MS. You'd be better off with and altaz mounted scope. TBH it might be better to get a decent set of binoculars and put them on a stand. Most binos can screw into a stand with a handle to move it. The set in Lidl today is a very good set - I have a pair myself (well mine say Meade not Bresser but they're the same ones).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Thanks so much. I appreciate the response.:) May as well try and sell it for him then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

Micamaca wrote: »
    Mind you we do get a few clear nights out here in Skerries but am a bit worried if I bring it out to the garden the neighbours will think I'm looking at more than stars... :eek:

LOL - binoculars would be more discreet! :D

Advertisement