Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router only getting 11Mbps . Ping problem ????????????????

Options
  • 24-10-2008 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

O.k so recently brought a new router, Netgear RangeMax (DG834).

And the problem is i am only getting 11 Mbps. I have had 2 previous routers and have not had this problem, have been always been able to get 54Mbps (tought it just always said this, didn't know it changed till i got this router).:confused:

I have another laptop and it is getting 54Mbps no problem and as far as i can see it has the same settings. I have not changed any settings since using the last router. I have run the wireless adapter diagnostics and it is failing the ping test so i'm guessing this is the problem.

The OP i am using is Windows XP.
    Any one have any ideas how to fix the problem?????/

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The figure showing is the speed between the laptop or pc and the router - it has nothing got to do with your internet speed.

It sounds as if somewhere in the router you have a 'b' setting or there is a 'b' setting on the laptop. Have you checked your settings on the netgear? How old is the laptop that you are getting the 11 with?

(11 Mbs was the theoretical max of the earlier wireless 'b' system)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Mikey One

dub45 wrote: »
    The figure showing is the speed between the laptop or pc and the router - it has nothing got to do with your internet speed.

It sounds as if somewhere in the router you have a 'b' setting or there is a 'b' setting on the laptop. Have you checked your settings on the netgear? How old is the laptop that you are getting the 11 with?

(11 Mbs was the theoretical max of the earlier wireless 'b' system)

Ya i have had speeds of 54 before with this laptop no problem. The router it self is 200+ and i have 3 meg broadband.

Don't know loads about computers so can you tell me where i should be looking for the "b" settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Mikey One wrote: »
    Ya i have had speeds of 54 before with this laptop no problem. The router it self is 200+ and i have 3 meg broadband.

Don't know loads about computers so can you tell me where i should be looking for the "b" settings.

Range max is a propitiatory protocol and you need clients from net gear to use this "boost"

The two laptops you have tried, are they both the same wireless card in them? Different wireless cards report different speeds if your getting 11mbps your still doing for for a 3 meg broadband connection,

Are you seeing some problems with your speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Mikey One

Voodoo2 wrote: »
    Range max is a propitiatory protocol and you need clients from net gear to use this "boost"

The two laptops you have tried, are they both the same wireless card in them? Different wireless cards report different speeds if your getting 11mbps your still doing for for a 3 meg broadband connection,

Are you seeing some problems with your speed?

No there different cards, the other one is running at 54 and now the other is down to 5.

It is def slower, not loads tho.

Advertisement