Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Address] or Find on Map

Options
  • 23-10-2008 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    on my website I ask customers to fill in their address. Some are in the middle of nowhere so I always have to get proper details as I'll have to find it eventually. Is there any google map type app that I could just have a little "Find on map" link beside the address field and it can be automatically zoomed to Ireland/UK and they can just zoom into their exact location and press "ok" and it will give me a link to this in the quotation email at all?

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

I'm sure (though I have never done it) that Google maps would let you grab the longitude and latitude from a click on a map. An Post have a database of addresses mapped to longitude and latitude but it wouldn't be cheap to use.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭ron_darrell

Yup just as Bluefrog says - you can make use of the google maps (or virtual earth if you has an MS frame of mind :p) API to retrieve co-ordinates based on a mouse click. There's also a (very limited) means of getting co-ordinates from a placename but not every placename will be in the database so as I said limited use. Best of luck.

RD

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the help folks :) Do you think I'd need to get a developer to code this for me? Lat and Long is fine, I don't think I'd need it to search for whatever address they put in (the ones I'd have trouble finding probably wouldn't be found anyway, the easy ones would be on my GPS, so lat and long are the essential bits ;)). Using Google maps would be ideal. I'll probably need to get my developer to do some sort of modification with the CMS?

Advertisement