Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with hardware issues please

Options
  • 23-10-2008 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

Right... im one lazy ****er. i havent done anyhting about this for a good 9 months now and my pc is only 11 months old so....

My specs

Quad core 2.4ghz
    4GB DDR2 800Mhz Ram
    512mb Gforce 8800
    i cant remember my power suppy off hand but i think its a 650 wat
    Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard
    Vista Home Prem

Heres the problem i have double the min specs for several games and they wont run correctly, i have tried changing res and even reducing the graphics (which i shouldnt have to do with those specs)

but anyway suppreme commander even with the 3GB enabler can crash sometimes, other games like mass effect wont even run for more than 5-7 mins without crashing while other games like gear of war will run for a hour or so.

The crash can be 1. just the game itself, 2. the whole PC just shutting itself off or 3. the pc just freezing and i have to shut it off.

Any suggestions would be welcome because i have tried a few things, someone told me changing the power saving options on vista would help but it didnt.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

This could be 1 of a few things:

1. CPU overheating. Can you use somethign like coretemp to monitor the cpu temp across all 4 cores while in windows.

2. GPU overheating. Use the nvidia driver software which can monitor temp www.nvidia.com to grab it.

3. Badly installed/wrong drivers. Grab new chipset, graphics, sound,lan etc etc drivers from the net.

4. Bad/weak rails on the psu, not providing enough power, or power not comming through as stable.

5. Failing ram. Install Memtest86 and let it run for an hour or so.

6. Corrupt OS install. Not very likely to be this as it would not just crash at games but everywhere.

Im thinking this is most likely you have either scenario 1 or 3, perhaps even both. when you place your hand at the back of the pc is the air comming out very warm? Also open up the pc and give it a spring clean, remove dust and try to tidy the wiring up a little bit to allow better airflow.

Lemme know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Thanks, i have cleaned it twice yes it does get very VERY warm. I suppose i could put extra fans in it, it does only have 3 fans (not counting the one in the power supply, graphics card & cpu)
    Thanks for you help ill give it a go when i get home

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

3 fans should generally be enough, it would kind of depend on their size/speed, but much more important would be how they are set up to direct airflow through the case. It could also be that the CPU fan/heatsink isn't mounted properly. Of course the steps Manties listed will let you know if it actually is overheating causing the crashes in the first place. You could also try motherboard monitor which will monitor the outputs of your PSU to make there's no voltage drops.

Advertisement