Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christchurch NZ

Options
  • 23-10-2008 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

Has anyone ever lived and worked in Christchurch, NZ? I'm starting a new job for 9 months in christchurch hospital in feburary and I'm just wondering what the place is like. I've heard its a fairly small place.

I'm travelling with friends to Asia and Oz for 3 mths first but from then on, I'm on my own. Is there much to do there,night-life, skiing, surfin, activities etc? I was thinking of buying a car so I can travel w'ends. Are there any good sites 2 find accomodation for house sharing? What are prices like, food, drink, rent etc?

Finally someone told me that when they were working in Oz, they were able to claim a living away from home allowance (LAFHA). Is there any allowances like this in NZ??

Any feedback would be great,
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Crumble Froo lives in Christchurch and I'm sure she'll be along soon with some advice! I know she surfs a lot so you def have that option.

Any general NZ questions I can help with but not Christchurch specific ones! Feel free to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Lived and worked there for over a year and a half. Yes it's small but thats what I liked about it. There is plenty to do though, lots of bars and restaraunts, theatres, galleries, a museum and the botanical gardens are lovely and plenty of nice beaches in driving or bus distance. The town dies after 5 or 6 pm on some weekdays but if you get friendly with a few local heads you will most likely get invited to sessions and bbqs in their houses.

I would recommend you get a car though. It's nice to get away on the weekends, and there's so much of the south island to see. For accommodation I checked noticeboards in hostels, internet cafes and shops. There is also a section in the ChristChurch Press that would have info, but I am not sure what day that would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Long'n'slow

Hi
    Just moved to Ireland from Christchurch. You will love the place. There are quite a few irish/brits working at the hospital, my best friend even married one. Most expat hospital workers live out in Sumner. It's a lovely village style suburb on the beach about 10km from the centre of the city. There is a bus that leaves that goes right past the hospital for about NZ$2. The hospital notice boards will have plenty of accommodation options. The CHCH Press has 'Flatmate wanted' ads on Wednesdays and Saturdays, you can also check out www.tradme.co.nz which has an accomm section, it is also a very good site to buy cars, bikes etc.
    The city isn't what I would call small, popn of around 450 000, a very good bar/club scene. There is plenty to do outdoors. A car is almost a necessity to see everything on offer, but don't worry as cars are very cheap compared to Ireland, around 2000 euro will get you a reliable car. Tax, registration etc are also very cheap. Rego costs around 120 euro a year regardless of engine size, insurance will be around 300 euro, or 100 if third party. fire and theft. Petrol is cheap at around 85 cents euro.
    Hope that helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

awonw wrote: »
    Hi,

Has anyone ever lived and worked in Christchurch, NZ? I'm starting a new job for 9 months in christchurch hospital in feburary and I'm just wondering what the place is like. I've heard its a fairly small place.

Are you a rugby fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

lol^

yep, im living here at the moment, been here a year now, and 99% of the time i love it! (homesickness can be a bitch, but awesome place to be if you can't be home) if youl ike outdoorsy things, this is definitely teh place for you, people here are big into cycling, surfing, windsurfing, kitesurfing, kayaking, skateboarding (most skateparks per person in the world, i think)... they're the ones ive noticed most, though no doubt im forgetting tonnes... hiking, rambling (tramping)... if you wana start up surfing, i can highly highly highly recommend these guys , ha, if you go out on a sunday, almost guaranteed to see me there too :D the guys are plenty experienced, really friendly, and damned good coaches.

ive got no idea what the hospital's like, and i don't get out for a lot of the nightlife, though been to some absolutely excellent local bands' gigs. if you're into music, it's a bit flat here on the international band kinda front.. .you gotta fly up to auckland for the most part :(

check trademe.co.nz for flatting. i wouldnt recommend sumner, it's fairly expensive, and well out of the way of most places. get a metrocard for the bus, works out well cheaper.

any other questions, feel free to ask me... duno how much help any of htat is, ive not done much of the touristy thing yet, if im still here in december/jan, i shall probably get a few more chances to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 awonw

pucan wrote: »
    Are you a rugby fan?
    Yea big time, I'm from Munster & we have a few Kiwis playing with us at moment, Tipoki, Mafi & Howlett!! Had tickets for Ireland V All Blacks in Dublin in Nov but unfortunately had to sell because I'm travelling before then!!

You'll love christchurch than. They are mad about their rugby.
    They are well aware of who Munster are, so you'll be right at home.
    The super-14 will be starting up in feb, you should get yourself a season ticket.
    Pre-match get into the Lancaster Park Hotel, just around the corner from AMI stadium. The supporters club is based out of there, the players often come in after the game.
    Be prepared to cop some **** if the all blacks do us in November

hmm, just asked my (kiwi) fella, and he reckons munster are one of only two club teams to have beaten the all blacks.

and as for copping flak for IF we lose to the all balcks... herrroooo... we've never won! though most of them are pretty good humoured about it, that ive come across anyway.

and as for copping flak for IF we lose to the all balcks... herrroooo... we've never won! though most of them are pretty good humoured about it, that ive come across anyway.

Huh? No comprende!

to the best of my knowledge, ireland have never beaten new zealand at rugby... right?

i could be getting this all wrong... but.... ?

• Advertisement

Ah right, by we I meant Munster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I went to see Alone It Stands the second week I was there. I think Iw as the only Paddy in the audience :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,830 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

pucan wrote: »
    Be prepared to cop some **** if the all blacks do us in November

That's when, not if.

Advertisement